From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:22:49 -0500

Dear Ultra Gourmets of GF Land:
I made this to celebrate a new Vitamix machine--the celiac's delight.
It is an adaptation of the whole wheat carrot pecan cake recipe in the
Vitamix book.  It worked so well that my non-gf friends found it
heavenly-- light and quite delicious.

Note:  I love to experiment with flours and will do so more now that I
have a machine to make them myself.  Also, I tend to favor low fat, low
sugar recipes.

Chop 2 cups of raw carrot chunks in the Vitamix.   Set aside.

In the container (no need to rinse) place the following
         1/2 c. rice flour
         1/2 c. corn meal
         1/4 cup each sweet potato flour, soy flour, and peanut flour
         1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
         1/4 to 1/2 c. vanilla sugar (i.e., sugar from a cannister in which a
            vanilla bean or two is in residence)
         1 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
         2 tsps ground cinnamon
         1 1/2 tsp baking soda
         3 tsp baking powder
Blend.

Stop. Add 4 large eggs and 1/4 c. maple syrup mixed with 1/4 c. oil (I
use canola, safflower would do as well.)  Tap-release red impact lever 5
times,  then stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula.  Repeat.
(Or else just stir in a large mixing bowl until well blended.  Add the
carrots and a handful of raisins, or nuts if you prefer.

I baked this is a greased loaf pan at 350 for about an hour, but you
could use a 9 x 13 pan, or small loaf pans, until a toothpick came out
clean.

When cool I sliced it and froze it in a loaf-shaped freezer container.
If I separate one additional slice each time I take a slice it is easy
to get an unbroken piece of this delicious loaf, which is perfectly fine
without icing.