From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:29:38 -0500

I want to thank everyone for their wonderful responses, and encouragement.

I got so many responses. Mostly for the travel/eating out. So, I will summarize this first.

This disease is not for those who want results "yesterday!" For those that feel much much better on a GF Diet,,,,yes, patience is the bottom line.  It can take up to 6 months to a Year, (or more.) to gain even a desire to excersize or start an excersize program,,,,,or longer. Each individual is different.

I am not going to post the information about vitamins/supplements,,unless someone emails me personally,,,there has already been a lot posted.  And, most have stated that supplements/vitamins/iron,,,etc is almost a 'have to'. Also, since digestion is not the 'greatest,' eat some really good foods, the fresh fruits/veggies/etc.  If just newly diagnosed, fine soft easily digestible foods to eat. Then gradually add the nuts/fruits, etc.

When one does feel like doing excersizes/therapy,,,,start slow,,,10 min or less at a time. There will be 'good days' and 'bad days!"  And, on the 'good days', don't over do!  I know it is hard to do,,,,,I have done it! Take one day at a time,,,,"baby steps" and in time one can 'get there."  The endurance and stamina will come in time.

Some of what people have said:
~~~~~
Take heart!  Of course have everything checked out by your doctor
but the doctor I finally found that helped me so much gave me these words of
wisdom.  Remember that you didn't get sick in a day and you won't recover in a
day.  (She was right - I just had to have faith and keep at it) And she also
told me that not everything is CD - people without CD get sick too.
~~~~~~~~~~~
In the early days, I pushed myself to
exercise, but not too much. The muscles simply don't have what they need
when your stored iron is not there.
~~~~~~~~
This is a
is a complicated illness, so hang in there and don't give up!  You have just
begun and you will get there in due time.
~~~~~~~~
Just a thought about "weakness" in limbs (tiredness, aches,
etc.) I have been GF for about 16 months -- very, very
strict. I was probably feeling unwell and then later quite
sick for 2-4 years, maybe longer. I had terrible numbness
and weakness before going GF, would often fall down trying
to get out of chair, etc. It got better right away to some
degree, but it has taken about 12-13 months to feel strong
again, and I still have some problem with numbness and
weakness if I sit too long in the same position. I am a
runner, and since going GF I have been able to run much
longer, stronger, and faster, but it has also taken over a
year. It also took over a year to feel really well, though I
did have immediate and dramatic improvement.

So...I want to offer encouragement in terms of how long it
takes to feel completely well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
After dx and getting my hg up a little a family friend who is a physical therapist gave me a really simple weight bearing, stretching and walking program. After doing that 3 or 4 times a week for 3 mos or so, i was ready to go to the gym. Endurance has improved slowly. Just be patient. It took a while to get sick so it will take a while to get well. I have osteoporosis so want to avoid spinal compression exercises.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exercise cannot "losen" stored gluten.  You should NOT be eating it at all
(except by mistake) so it shouldn't be in your system.
It took a couple of months for me to get back my stamina after being
diagnosed 4 years ago.  The CD seemed to take all my reserves.  But my
anemia, strength and stamina steadily improved.
~~~~~~~~~
Just wanted to let you know it's taken over a year for me to begin to feel like exercising like I used to .  I'm so pleasantly surprised by this - I forgot what it feels like to have energy.  PLUS, I even have enough energy to function the rest of the day like a normal person!  Just take it easy
Thanks again to all for their encouragment!!! It means more than you will ever know!

Diane, Iowa