Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:37:40 -0400

I decided to respond to the list, since this is long and contains
more than shampoo.

I have found a couple of good alternatives in the hair care and soap
categories.  Like many celiacs, I have become sensitive to most
chemically-produced fragrances.  Most plants and essential oils don't
seem to bother me. (I do have pollen allergies.)  Finding fragrance
-free products has been an enormous challenge.  In addition, I prefer
GF hair products, even though I know skin exposure is not a problem
for non-DH celiac.  I'm more concerned about getting it in my mouth
in the shower.  The combo of GF and fragrance free is the most
challenging, since so many natural products contain wheat germ oil. I
also try to avoid sodium lauryl sulfate in shampoos.

I have found 3 products that meet my criteria for soap and hair care.

1.  NutriBiotic Super Shower Gel:  It is plant-based, fragrance-free,
and can be used for shampoo and body wash.  It is extremely gentle
and free of paraben, sodium lauryl sulfate, not tested on
animals.  There are no gluten ingredients on the label, but I have
not  called the manufacturer.  As a huge bonus, a friend found it in
gallon bottles at a vitamin distributor, which greatly reduces the
cost per use.  I originally found it a local health food store.  (Michigan)

2.  Desert Essence Organics Fragrance Free Conditioner:  Same as
above applies, plus all ingredients certified organic and is
biodegradable, which is very hard to find in a conditioner.  It also
has no phosphates, phthalate, petroleum-based ingredients, and is
labeled vegan/gluten free.  It is made in Canada and available
online, although I found it for the same price at a local health food store.

3.  Liquid Hand Soap:  I have used Kiss My Face fragrance free liquid
hand soap for a long time and like it, but I have never been able to
buy it in quantity.  That makes it really expensive. I have switched
to Method "Bare Naked" Hand Gel, which is fragrance free and can be
purchases in quantity.  Both it and the Kiss My Face product have
sodium lauryl sulfate, but that's OK with me for use on hands
only.  Neither has triclosan, which is has insufficient safety data
and is showing up in municipal water supplies.  It is in many
antibacterial hand soaps. I found the Method product on Amazon in
refill pouches, which is great.  It significantly lowers the cost,
uses much less plastic, and has minimal weight, which means less
environmental impact from shipping.  It qualifies for free shipping,
and I'm about to sign up for their subscription service, which gets
another price break.

Hope that helps!  I'd love to hear of others to add to my list.