Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:17:37 -0400

Our son, age 11, was diagnosed 5 months ago.  He was also previously diagnosed with ADHD.  With gluten out of his diet there was an immediate difference--more "present, " articulate, happier, grades went slightly up. Tendency to hyperactivity seems to be about the same, motor development still somewhat behind his peers.

This summer he has been playing computer games (his favorite activity), watching television, playing around outside and sometimes with friends--no pressure, the way he likes it. Previously summers he was active in competitive swimming.  This summer he has resisted swim practice, saying he is too tired and doesn't want the pressure.

His counselor notes some anxiety/depression.  I am aware that this is common with CD.

The question is should we be doing something about this anxiety/depression or will it resolve itself as the intestinal damage heals?

One approach is to have him assessed for depression and try anti-depressant medication. Another approach is to be patient for the gut damage to heal and to give nutritional supplements now as well as after the damage heals. This approach is to work nutritionally to get the brain the nutrients that may be presently lacking, including seratonin support.  Since going gf, when we notice mental and emotional flareups it has been when he has hit a food intolerance, twice from too much sugar, and once from trying a digestive enzyme that had a bad effect.  These effects last about 3-4 days and they make it difficult  to concentrate, to accomplish any goals, angry and easy  to lash out at himself or others.

One parent is concerned  that there is significant depression that needs to be treated with anti-depressants. This route might have an immediate impact. The other parent is more inclined to the  nutritional route although it is likely to be a lot slower (a year or two?), but might be the way in which he recovers most completely and normally. We are working with a nutritionist who is familiar with CD who has prescribed specific supplements.

Does anyone have experience or input about how much a child who is CD and ADHD might improve in terms of anxiety once the nutritional deficits resolve?  Does anyone have experience or input about the advisability of anti-depressants in the interim?

Thank you, Diane Loomis