From:
"S.McLeod" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S.McLeod
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:16:27 +1200

I have a daughter whose behavior deteriorates ( hyperactive, impulsive, poor
concentration and aggressive) when she is on wheat, something we discovered
by chance. This was two years ago and a request at the time to have a small
bowel biopsy was turned down because two previous blood tests for celiac
were negative. We tried a gluten trial but only lasted 24 hours her behavior
was so bad and dangerous both to herself and others.

Yesterday I suggested to her pediatrician that she get gene tested instead
to see if celiac was at least a possibility, but he still wants a positive
blood test and thinks at least 3 days on gluten should do it, preferably two
weeks. My daughter also has Down Syndrome and has progressed well at school
since going gf. (She possibly aso has Crouzon Syndrome so if anyone out
there has that as well please get in touch).

My questions: Do any other parents have experience of doing a gluten trial
on a child whose main symptom is behavioral? How long did you do it for and
did the child's behavior return to "normal" (i.e. pre gluten trial) when
they went gf again? (I have heard this could risk long-term or permanent
damage)
And has anyone from New Zealand had the genetic test ?

I did ask a question related to testing two years ago, so I am not needing
more information on alterntives like Dr Fine's tests, as I do have all that
information - but, sadly, not the money !

Thanks for your help.
Stella
from New Zealand