From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:51:39 -0500

I received several comments in response to my post of July 11 from the Sugar
Association:

i have read in several places that brown sugar can contain gluten
how could it possibly be impossible???
++++++++++
hi ellen, sugar, when it is made from sugarcane in South Africa is boiled
down to raw brown sugar, ie no chemical process. however, to make white
sugar is a chemical process where sulphuric acid is used. some sulphur
traces may remain in white sugar, making it a health risk for people with
asthma. All other brown sugars in south africa contains various additives,
quite often gluten & sometimes tartrazine. The only safe sugar from
sugarcane is therefore the basic brown raw sugar, which is fortunately
available in most shops here. However very few people know the facts. Beet
sugar is made according to a different process and should be safe but beware
of additives! I am sorry to say that I find you e-mail extremely misleading.
Brown sugar, if light, is g/f. However if it is brown the caramel color used
to make it darker may be questionable.