Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:44:56 -0500

Hi,

I got a bunch of responses and a couple of requests to summarize, so here goes.

Three people with direct knowledge of Dr. Green answered.  One has celiac and is
a patient and was positive, said he has experience with other food intolerances,
since celiacs have them, but didn't really know if he'd be the best doctor for
my type of case.  The other is celiac, and a patient of Dr. Green's.  Her
husband has had worsening stomach problems that haven't had a diagnosis.  She
brought him to Dr. Green, who was helpful and tried to "think outside the box,"
but it sounds like he didn't solve the problem.  One person said she's just like
me, and it doesn't sound like he helped.

One response was totally positive about Dr. Green and said he'd be a help, but
didn't say on what basis they were saying this, personal knowledge or from other
people or general reputation.

Four people didn't answer my question at all and suggested that I have testing
done with Enterolab and Dr. Fine.  I've done this testing, and it said  I
shouldn't eat gluten, milk, eggs or yeast.  I don't eat any of those things now,
but I still have stomach problems.

Two people told me based on hearsay that Dr. Green doesn't accept any insurance.
One of them said that he treats the "elite" of Celiac patients and that his
office won't give patients insurance papers to file themselves.  This at least
partially contradicts what his office told me when I made the appointment.  I
was told that the appointment is $500, that they don't take my insurance, but
that they will help with filing papers with my insurance so that I will be
reimbursed.  I'm not sure what the "elite" means, but I didn't have any trouble
making an appointment, except that the appointment is in mid May.

One person suggested a breath test for lactose intolerance.

One person suggested the web site  www.glutensensitivity.net   and that there
can be gluten reactivity in other parts of the body besides the villi.

A couple of people, apparently with no direct knowledge, said that they're sure
that the first thing he'll do is a gluten challenge

One person said that their local celiac expert said that the best way to
diagnose celiac is to see if symptoms improve on a gluten free diet.  Since its
also possible to have a wheat allergy I don't see how this can distinguish.

One person said I don't need to go to a doctor.  Just don't eat gluten.  As my
original post stated, I'm already not eating gluten and I still have problems,
which is why I am looking for a helpful doctor.

One person who is a dietitian who will be having a service through a web site
answered, plugging her services.

2 people asked me who Dr. Green is.  I'm talking about Dr. Peter Green at Celiac
Disease Center at Columbia University.
http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/E_About/E03-StaffBios.htm

I will do another post with excerpts.

Cindy