From:
Beth Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:33:54 -0500

I see in this list a recent inquiry about shampoos.  I have recently
discovered a compound called "sodium lauryl sulfate,"  that is in
most shampoos, except baby shampoo.  According to the internet this
is a very strong industrial cleaner, so they include it to attain the
sudsing action that we all expect.  According to what I read it
causes canker sores, (but has not been proven to be carcinogenic.)

It is also included in most toothpaste.  I mentioned it to my dental
hygenist and she quickly agreed but had never informed me of this.
She gave me several samples of Sensodyne "Pro-Namel" which does not
contain the product.  My husband and I had already switched to
Pronamel at the time and I have had no more canker sores.   She
agreed about the problem as her son suffers from them.  I"m told by
the nurse advisor to our group that there is also a toothpaste called
"Tom's" that is OK to use.

I read every label on all the shampoos at a local retailer and found
only the baby shampoos are without it.  I have consulted in the past
with the dermatologist about the itchy scalp and wasn't told
about sodium lauryl sulfate.

If you are having problems with itchy scalp or canker sores, try
switching brands and hopefully it will help you.

(I have no financial interest in any of these companies who make
these products.)

Beth Jacobs   Missouri

*******
*******