From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:23:17 -0700

Hi everyone,

Just read a couple of e-mails on this list that refer people to kosher
websites that specifically deal with the Jewish holiday of Passover.

I don't want to get technical, but it is NOT true that foods & other
products made and sold exclusively for Passover use do not contain any
wheat.  They can contain wheat & usually this wheat is listed as matzah
meal, which is actually matzah crackers (unleavened bread made from
wheat) that are ground into very fine crumbs.

On the plus side, because of the stringent rules around producing
products that are labelled Kosher for Passover use, the ingredient's
listings are usually exemplary examples of how we all wish ingredients
lists were provided for all packaged products.

Also on the plus side, you can usually find a very good assortment of
goods labelled Kosher for Passover that do not have any wheat in them.
There is a greater use of potato starch, and nut flours, for instance.

Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Helen in Vancouver, BC