From:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:56:20 -0600

      I love buying pomegranates this time of year and always wondered what I do with them other than sprinkle on salad.  Here is a recipe I found recently on www.pomwonderful.com<http://www.pomwonderful.com/>  and adapted to be gluten free.  Any gluten-free flour mix will work but they won't have the same wheat like taste and texture and the same self life as you get from the Ruby Range Basic Mix.  www.therubyrange.com<http://www.therubyrange.com/>.

      Pomegranate Ginger Muffin

      1 /2 cup arils (seeds) form 1 large pomegranate

      2 cup Ruby Range Basic Mix or any gf mix

      3/4 cup sugar or Sucanot

      1 Tablespoon baking powder

      1/4 teaspoon salt

      1/4 cup chopped candied ginger

      1 Tablespoon grated orange peel

      1 cup milk

      1 egg

      1/3 cup melted butter cooled or canola oil

      sugar to sprinkle on top

      Preheat oven to 400, grease 12 muffin cups.

      With a knife score 1 pomegranate and place in a bowl of water.  Break the pomegranate under water.  This frees the arils (seed sacs) and the arils will sink to the bottom on the water and membranes will float to the top.  Drain off the water and put arils in a new bowl.  Measure out 1/2 cup for the muffins and eat or freeze the rest.

      In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Stir in ginger, orange peel and pomegranate arils.  Make a well in the center.  In a separate bowl mix egg, milk and butter.  Pour into the well in the dry mixture.  Stir until all is just moist.

      Spoon batter into greased muffin cups and sprinkle with sugar.

      Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until they begin to brown.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.

Based on a recipe from www.pomwonderful.com<http://www.pomwonderful.com/>.  There are many recipes using pomegranates and pomegranate juice at this site.