From:
Nancy Deelstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:59:31 +0100

Hello!

A lot of people mailed me to ask if I wanted to summarize my mail about
my question. But unfortunately I didn't get much response. The most
people told me that they have the same problem but don't have the answer
either. But I also got a few tips:
******
I'm also a vegetarian.  I am self diagnosed and I don't seem to have
problems with soy or anything else.  I was just wondering if you knew about
Fantastic soups.  I eat them everyday for lunch.  They are pretty good.  You
just add hot water.  I don't think they use any soy, but you could call the
company and find out.
******
Yes, I was one, and I had to, unfortunetely, go back to being an
omnivore. It was the only solution I could find.
******
Nancy,  Regular beans (kidney, aduki, lentils, etc.,) are not a problem,
probably.  Why not just eat beans and forget the stuff that is filled with
phoney flavoring to make it taste like meat.  If you want that taste, eat
meat.  If you want to be a vegetarian, eat vegetables.  I believe, however,
that you need something beyond vegetable protein and should be eating eggs
and fish, at least.
******
I don't see how you are going to remain a vegetarian and healthy, if you
are allergic to soy.
******
I have been a vegetarian since childhood (I'm 22 now) and am allergic to a
lot of things as well, including soy.  I sympathize.  Now I only eat corn,
rice, vegs, nuts, seeds and beans.  But my digestion is poor, so I go easy on
the nuts, corn, seeds, beans.  It is really tough, and I was so desperate
last summer I actually tried some fish for the first time in my life (but
only once....it was pretty difficult to do!).  We can trade recipes if you
like...I can email you some stuff..it depends on how long you want to spend
in the kitchen.  With most ot these things, it all goes a lot faster once you
learn the ropes.
******
One thing to try if you haven't already is tofu - I've had trouble with
soy proper but never tofu, apparently the processing changes the protein
enough that it might be worth a try. That expands your options as a
vegetarian, but isn't crucial. Also don't worry about "balancing" meals
even over the course of a day --
your body is smarter than that, it can handle the balancing act over the
course of several days. I find that the more "simple" meals I work in and
the more I rotate foods, the better I feel. When under a lot of stress, I
go to strict rotation and very simple eating. Works like a charm.

This was what I got for answers. Thanks to anyone who mailed me.
I also have a tip for vegetarians who are celiak and allergic for soy. I
always eat Quorn instead of meat. It looks like chicken-meat and it
tastes very good. It is made of protein of a plant. It is in holland
very popular among the vegetarians. I hope this will help!

All the best,

Nancy