From:
Selma Ciavardelli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 00:46:48 EDT

/S</UL>  Hi Listserv members,

I got numerous replies about high cholesterol and the gluten free diet.  This
is my first time posting a summary, so will do my best to do it correctly.

Several posters mentioned that they had to go on a cholesterol lowering drug
and others mentioned they wanted to avoid a cholesterol lowering drug and
lower cholesterol by diet alone and exercise.

Others were told their cholesterol was high because of better absorption of
nutrients.  Aging also has to be taken into consideration.

Use guar gum,  legumes and pectin as cholesterol tend to stick to these and
get rid of it.  Take pectin gluten free capsules half hour before a meal.

COQ 10 OTC supplement.  Thyroid hormones messed up.

Genetics, heart disease and diabetes in family play a role.

Eat more fiber.

Exercise more.

Since posting the question about high cholesterol and the gluten free diet I
also spoke to a dietitian and she stated, "My cholesterol is higher now
because I'm now absorbing nutrients that I wasn't before due to celiac disease. I
probably would have had high cholesterol much younger if I wasn't a celiac
because of family history.  Make sure it is a fasting cholesterol."   Mine was done
at six PM.

I also spoke to someone from the American Heart Association and they stated,
"If there's a family history of heart disease it's going to be harder work to
keep your cholesterol down, but it can be done."  My cholesterol is up 230, my
HDL is 87, above 40 should be so this is good, triglycerides are 46 should be
below 150 so this is good, LDL is 134 should be  below 130.  I was told by
them that the LDL new standards should be below 100 and if heart disease in
family should be below 70.

My family Dr. told me that my HDL had gone up higher because of exercise and
the others depend on your diet.

Hope this information helps all of those with celiac disease.

Sincerely,

Selma