From:
"T.M. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
T.M. Jones
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 20:23:53 -0400

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about this area of FL. We had
one of the most amazing gluten free vacations we've had in the US.

Vertori's Pizza in Bradenton offers some of the best gluten free food I've had
outside NYC. (www.vertorispizza.com). They have gf pizza, baked ziti, bread
sticks, fried cheese, key lime pie, chocolate cake and beer. Well, they have
much more than that but we couldn't taste it all. If you're within a couple of
hours from this place - GO!!!!!!! We were blown away upon entering the
restaurant and the hotess/server told us to pick any table and asked if we
needed any gluten free menus....first time that's ever happend when we didn't
have reservations. The (dairy gf crust) pizza rivals that at Risotteria in NYC.

Harry's on Longboat Key was incredible - they had gf chocolate torte for me
specifically. (www.harryskitchen.com) They have gourmet meals and most can
be made gluten free.

Columbia was a disappointment - gf menu had no pricing or discription so you
had to use the regular menu as well. My fish was overdone - would not go
back to that location at St. Armands Circle anyway.

Island Time Grill was decent - loved having duck for the first time in over three
years. Downside was they had NO gf starches - potatoes, rice or corn. Huh?
GF diners had to order two veggies instead. No good dessert options either.
We would not go back again.

Last but not least - Island GF Bakery was the BEST place we visited while
down there. I don't know what they are doing at this bakery, but whatever it
is, it blows away every gluten free bakery we've been to, or ordrered from.
Their muffins are edible four days after they're made - stored on the counter.
Their sandwich bread and cinnamon raisin breads are the best I've had. Their
French bread is edible without heating - I've had gf French bread made in
France and it's NOT edible without heating. The carrot cake and key lime pie
were among the best we've had in life - including all gluten versions. We were
warned not to get their pizza as it's dairy free and not that great - and so we
didn't try it. At Vertori's they have two pizza crusts - one is from this bakery
and the other is the dairy version. Oh - and don't miss their new gf doughnut
holes. You must eat on the day they're made but they are fried and they are
incredible!!

This bakery will ship breads, muffins and unfrosted cakes to Atlanta with
ground shipping. Most of their products are also dairy free. Take a chance if
you're within 1-2 days for shipping ground from this place. You will not be
sorry.

www.islandgfbakery.com

We are now trying to figure out when we can visit the area again - it was
beautiful with tons of gluten free options. Our kind of place ;)

Tiffany