From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:28:29 -0800

I saw on a cooking show how if you put the wet pancake ingredients in a
blender, you get even lighter pancakes. I remembered that while I was using
the recipe on the back of Authentic Foods' Bean Flour, and when I read the
part that suggests adding fruit I remembered how good the pancakes were
when I put some blueberry jam in the batter, and then I remembered I had a
ripe banana to use up. After putting the jam and the banana in the blender
with the eggs, soy milk, and oil, and mixing it all with the dry
ingredients, I got--GREEN pancake batter. So, Happy St. Patrick's Day,
everybody. (Don't worry, they're brown when they're cooked.) Here's my
Irish adaptation of Steve Rice's Authentic Foods recipe:

St. Paddy's Day Pancakes

(According to Steve, you may replace part of the bean flour with rice flour
if you like.)

Mix dry ingredients well (I sift them together into the bowl, then mix with
a fork):
1 Cup Bean Flour (or substitute some Rice Flour)
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum

Add to either dry or wet, accordingly:
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Powder (or twice as much GF extract to liquids)
2 Tablespoons Maple Sugar (or GF sweetener of your choice)

Mix wet ingredients and fruit very well in a blender, until green:
1/4 Cup Corn Oil, Safflower Oil or Melted Butter
2 Eggs or Egg Whites
1 Cup Milk, Soy Milk, or Water
1 Heaping Tablespoon Blueberries or GF Blueberry Jam/Preserves
1 Sliced Banana
(Add more banana and/or berries to adjust color!)
(If it's not St. Paddy's Day, just add favorite chopped fruit right before
cooking. I like walnut pieces.)

Time to preheat lightly oiled griddle/skillet to medium (300F).

Add blender liquids to dry ingredients and mix by hand until just blended.
Pour out circles of batter onto hot griddle. (Make sure the kids see how
the pancakes start out being green!) Cook on first side until bubbles pop
and edges look dry. Turn with a spatula and cook until second side is
brown. Serve with butter, margarine, syrup or more jam and fruit. I found
these sweet enough to eat plain. I heated up leftovers for 30 seconds in
the microwave.

Bon Appetit,
Mary