From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 13:16:33 -0600

Hi Valerie and All,

>Does anyone know what the enzymes are in cheeses or sour cream? Are they
>GF? My son seems to have a problem with cheeses  with enzymes, but more
>detective work needs to be done. I need to know what the enzymes are
>because he's highly allergic to many foods.

Your son may also have an intolerance to the milk-derived proteins.

With respect to the cheese, there is a more sinister possibility.  A Dutch
company called Latenstein produces starch from wheat flour. They also
produce an edible cover layer for cheese, which is made from gluten. The
Netherlands Celiac Association (Nederlandse Coeliakie Vereniging [NCV]) is
currently engaged in what appears to be a losing battle to halt the use of
these coverings, as they are concerned that  they will spread. The same
company is rumoured to be gearing up to market a gluten-derived capsule for
medications. It is apparently much cheaper, and is much more reliable than
the gelatin capsules which are currently in use.

This information comes from a public correspondence to N.C.V. members, from
their President, Mrs. G. Schalekamp.

The next logical step would be for these folks to enter the North American
Marketplace.

Sincerely,

Ron Hoggan  Calgary, Alberta, Canada