From:
Nicola Hamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 08:46:50 EDT

Karen M. Davis writes:

> (1) Almost everyone is an immigrant, and a "non-native" speaker, making
> reading those teeny-tiny labels more difficult.
>
> (2) The Jewish rules about "pikuach nefesh" - loosely translated - saving
> of a soul.
>
> Someone probably presented CD to MK Lass as a deadly disease (which it
> is) that can be easily controlled if people are careful about their
> diets.  This labeling law is probably being done to simplify the life of
> celiacs in Israel, while making sure their food is safe... Costs the
> government nothing, the manufacturers very little (unless they lie, and
> get fined/sued), and makes life easier for celiacs and "black hat" Jews
> (who eschew almost all grain-derived items during Passover).

I used to live in Israel.  It is quite remarkable that they would even
consider passing such a law.  Anyone who lived in Israel would think
it would be the last place to pass such a law.  Israelis speak Hebrew,
immigrants learn the language and they don't make allowances for the
few people who don't.  If the government was so concerned about saving
a soul perhaps they would give out the occasionnal speeding ticket and
try to make the roads safer.  And finally, orthodox Jews already know
about which products are kosher for passover.  They don't eat anything
during passover unless it has been approved and stamped "kosher for
passover".

As celiacs we think a law of this kind would be great and we all wish
something similar would be passed in the U.S. and Canada.  But don't
believe that it would be more difficult here than in a country like
Israel.

Mitchell Bellman ([log in to unmask])