From:
Donna Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:39:59 -0500

Here are responses from the Hereditary Hemochromatosis group, a much smaller group than this one.  Does that reflect relative frequency in the population?  Both diseases are equally neglected by the medico-pharmico industry. However, I suspect that people are more likely to figure out that diet is part of their trouble than that iron is building up insidiously in their bodies.  The codes refer to genes, which one and how many.

1.  My daughter  CX2 threw up any formula that had iron in it.  Both my children
CX2 got sick when I gave them vitamins.  Stayed well when I didn't.
My son, took formula and did not throw it up... however at 6 months had a
bout with diarrhea that was more than likely clostridium bacterial infection
but was not dxed as that at the time.  Iron feeds Clostridium.  He ended up
in the hospital in order to get it stopped.  I say that it was Clostridium, I
don't know for sure, but it sure smells the same.  Poor baby, he had the
spell from hell at 6 months.... all because I pumped him full of iron.
grrrrrrr  I don't remember the vomiting as projectile but was forceful.

2.  My son vomited every bottle he took....he is double C282y...my daughter is a
Het she didn't vomit much at all...spit up some after feeding. She has bad
reflux now.
 I myself was born in 1943 all my family has since passed away...but do remember a
story my grandmother and mother told me. This is exactly how it was told to
me.Right after giving birth to me my mother had to be rushed to the big city
hospital because she had a kidney stone. My grandmother took me home from
the hospital and she said I didn't pee for three days and every time she
tried to fed me a bottle I could only take an ounce and it came back up. It
wasn't going through, so she took me to the dr. and he said I had a closed
stomach (that's the only term she used) so the dr. opened it up...I ask how
did he do that? No one knew......I have had stomach problems all my
life....have the reflux still. I don't have a scar indicating any surgery.
(COMMENT, he was probably an osteopath, and knew some tricks)

3.  My youngest daughter, who is C282Y x2, had pyloric stenosis and was
operated on at 6 weeks old. My firstborn, also C282Y x2 had the
forceful vomiting as well. My gosh, I can remember it seeming to go
several feet across the room !  My guess is that she had pyloric
stenosis as well, just not Dx'd. I've read that it does tend to run
in families.

4.  Cassidy is the
only one of my kids that is cys X 2. She is the only
one that did NOT projectile vomit. My middle daughter
had an upper GI at 3 weeks because of the amount of
projectile vomiting. It was negative for pyloric
stenosis but they did say that she had reflux. My son
also projectile vomits intermittently.
None of my children had formula. I guess my
family doesn't seem to match the rest of the group,
but I thought I should put my 2 cents in.

5.  I was a projectile vomiter.  My HH brother was not; neither was my non-HH sister.  They both got
literally "fed up" as kids, and have had more problems w/weight all thru
life, compared to me (I'm not skinny).

And a little tidbit of unrelated info:
They did a scientific study in New Zealand many years
ago and, completetly contrary to expectations,
discovered that iron supplementation in subpopulations
of infants prone to gastrointestinal infections
INCREASED the mortality rate.   (Seems the low levels
of iron in those populations was NOT due to inadequate
iron in the diet but to the chronic activation of the
iron withholding defense mechanism.