From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:39:22 EST

Thanks to all who  responded to my questions about phyllo dough and wonton
wrappers. Here are the  responses:
1. I just ordered both  light and dark teff wraps from Gluten Solutions but
haven't received them  yet.  They say they are to make burritos, wraps and
quesadillas.  I  don't know if they'll work for you, but this is a super
address for loads of  GF items.

2.   I've been  looking for filo and wonton wrappers or recipes for about 7
yrs. now. The  closest I've come is "rice paper" from Asian markets, and it's
not "close" at  all.  Or maybe my family hasn't acquired a taste for the
texture.

IME, GF recipes that say, just soak rice paper in water, wrap it  around a
filling, then fry -- that hasn't worked for us.  Wet things in hot  oil make for
bad spatters!  Some cultures just use the soaked rice  paper
without frying it, make rolls & then dip the rolls into a sauce for  eating
out of hand.  But we find lettuce leaves are more to our taste for  the
"unfried" spring rolls.

It's occurred to me that sweet (glutinous)  rice flour might be used to make
thin, dry "leaves" of something akin to filo,  perhaps for layering flat in a
baklava,  but these leaves wouldn't have any  flexibility on
their  own, & I'm unsure how much xanthan gum or guar  would be needed to
impart flexibility.  Also, it would likely take a lot of  time & effort to make
pans & pans of paper-thin leaves.

It seems  that over the yrs. I did come across one recipe somewhere for a
"sort  of" filo dough, GF.  But it didn't look practical to me at the time,  and
now I can't recall the source.  Sorry.
3. I got rice eggroll  wrappers from Miss Robens I think.  The mfr. was
Adriana's Caravan.   They came from someplace in SE Asia - Thailand? Cambodia?
Someplace over there.  They are fragile and dry; you have
to soak them  briefly; too long and they kind of dissolve and tear; too short
a time and they  are still stiff and crack but they tasted good for eggrolls.
If you get them,  I'll tell you how I 'soaked' them on a dinner plate.  They
might be salty,  I forget.  I ran out and forgot to reorder them yet.
4. I have never tried  it but I had a thought the other day that we could use
rice paper, dip it in  water the same as for rice paper rolls, for wontons
fry and for filo pastry  style maybe brush some egg on it before baking so that
it can  golden.
5. Rice wrappers can  be used as a substitute for wonton wrappers.  They can
be purchased at  oriental markets.

Also, Rebecca Reilly has a recipe for filo dough in her  cookbook.
6.  I use rice sheets for my spring rolls. You can get them in most grocery
stores  in the Asian section or in an Oriental store. They are available in
different  sizes round and square. I used to make my egg rolls with wonton
wrappers but of  course can't make them that way anymore. Now these spring rolls do
me  nicely. Even my husband eats them and he normally doesn't like much that
is  gluten free, he is a very picky eater. We are lucky it is me that has
Celiac and  not him. I also have a recipe for Filo dough but have not made those
yet. The  recipe must have originated in Europe because it has a flour mixture
in it that  I can't get here in Canada.

*******
*******