From:
Cecilia Vohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 16:15:24 -0700

Hi, all:

I was *trying* to eat at a sushi place in Mammoth, California, and the
wonderful chef noticed I carried my own Bragg's Liquid Aminos to replace the
wheat-laden soy sauce, which led to a discussion about my problem with
consuming grains.   He asked me if rice vinegar was okay, and I said I
didn't know; it depended on the manufacturer and how it was distilled.  He
then mentioned that the rice used to make the sushi was soaked in rice
vinegar.  So, I asked him to please check.  He came running back to say that
he couldn't believe it, but "YES" it was distilled with grains!  Arrgh.  So,
it was only the "flash-frozen" ahi, no rice, for me.  The brand of rice
vinegar was Mitsu-"something."  He said all commercial sushi places use
this.  No wonder I got sick after eating at a sushi place (this was before
my diagnosis, when I ate out often).

In conclusion, I have found that "having no pride" and asking what everyone
else may think are pesky questions is well worth it!  And BTW, the ahi
sashimi was awesome!

Cecilia Vohl