From:
Jill Bellissimo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 02:17:48 -0500

Hello Listmates,
Well, it finally happened, our 9 year old daughter got severely
"glutened".  Surprisingly enough, by JAMBA JUICE.
JAMBA JUICE adds wheat to their Brown Sugar topping, for their Whirl In
frozen yogurt.
This is not disclosed on their menu board.
Our daughter has been eating GF since she was 18 months old, without any
real issues.  JAMBA JUICE was one of the last places in the world I ever
expected to make my daughter sick.  Especially as we visit there  weekly.
BUT - - instead of having her usual banana topping, she opted for the Brown
 Sugar topping.  And I requested very little, as I figured there was
already  enough sugar in the frozen yogurt.  Well, the sugar is not what I should
have been worried about.
I dropped my daughter at dance, and when I picked her up 2 hours later, she
 said she was not feeling well.  She began to vomit, and it continued for
an  hour and a half, without rest.  I was certain it wasn't the stomach flu,
so  on the long and horrible drive home, I called my husband and asked him
to call  JAMBA JUICE and inquire about their Brown Sugar topping.
The person that answered the phone said it was just Brown Sugar, as did the
 co-worker next to him.  When my husband pushed the question further,  they
went and got out their handy dandy notebook, and sure as hell, they
confirmed that they do add wheat to their Brown Sugar.
I wanted to snap someone's head off.  Really.  For over 7 years  we have
been diligent with her diet.  We have traveled extensively,  including one
trip out of the country.  I never in a million years thought  that her first
BAD gluten experience would happen right here in our own  backyard.
Repeating what I have read so many times on this listserv...... you can
NEVER be too careful.
Thanks for letting me vent,
Jill