From:
Janet Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:37:18 -0500

Last week I asked for gluten free eating experiences at Cedar Point Roller
Coaster/Amusement Park and received some very helpful responses. One in
particular gave me the name of Gary Jones, executive director and manager of
food services in the park. I emailed him and the following is his response,
the rest of the summary will follow Gary's email. Thanks to everyone who
helped!!!
Janet Lowery
Nashville

FROM GARY JONES:

In answer to your questions:

-At Burger Patio, the frier is dedicated.
-The Burgers at Johnny Rockets are safe...they are the ones that are 100%
angus beef!
-We do not have any gluten free Corn Dogs yet be we are diligently working
on that.
-I am not sure if Chick-Fil-A has dedicated fryers but will try to look into
that for you today.
***I found out that the fryers at Chick-Fil-A are dedicated. They only fry
the french fries in them.
-Yes, you can bring a small soft sided cooler into the park. If you have any
difficulties at admissions, just give them my name and/or have them call me
so that I can verify that with them.
-We have a flame broiled chicken breast at Skyride Refreshments that is
Gluten Free.
-Most flavors of Dip-N-Dots Ice cream are gluten free with the exception of
-Cookies and Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  There are dedicated
scoops for each flavor so cross-contamination should not be an issue.

If you have any further questions, please give me a call.

Sincerely,

Gary J. Jones
Manager of Development, Standards & Safety
Food Service Division
Cedar Point Amusement Park
One Cedar Point Dr.
Sandusky, Ohio 44870

419.627.2315
419.627.2130 (fax)

SUMMARY #1:

Call me crazy but I'm planning on taking my 3 girls AND 3 of their friends
to Cedar Point Aug. 6-8.  There may not be enough beer in the park to help
me!!     Anyway, i emailed CP about their  GF food choices (if any) for
Mollie (age 11).  Much to my surprise, I got a call from Gary Jones,
executive director and manager of food services in the park.  He was SO
extremely helpful and has researched GF food, Celiac Disease, and other
allergans that folks have for the past two years. It was very apparent that
he was knowledgable about GF foods and cross contamination issues. In fact,
he is trying very hard to put together a GF food section of the park and
they are very close to doing it (has already found wonderful GF
hamburger/hotdog buns from a company in NY and pizza crusts!)!  He told me
that there is rarely a day that goes by that he does not get a call from
someone that has CD or needs a gluten free diet!!!

He gave me a list of food places in the park that have fries in designated
oil (about 5 locations!), pure angus beef hamburgers, grilled chicken,
dip-n-dots (except for two flavors).  He asked me to go to a food service
location and ask to have him paged so he could meet us too.  He was just so
helpful and NOW i know we will have a wonderful time!  Mollie is thrilled
(at least she will not be throwing up from the food,  and hopefully not from
the roller coasters either! ha!)

I told him i would share this with all of you and he would like for all of
us to send him emails so that he may document all the folks NEEDING GF food
so that he can continue to "work on" upper management to open a GF section
in the park.  He said it nearly happened last year and they even had it on
their website but at the last minute upper management got "cold feet".  So
he is documenting all of his emails - he KNOWS there is a real need and this
Cedar Point (in Sandusky) is a flagship so if it happened there, it would
happen at all parks!

Just wanted to share this so all of us with kids and teens and even us
grown-ups can go and KNOW we can have an enjoyable time without worry of
food issues.

Here's Gary's email:

SUMMARY #2

We went last summer and stuck to the safe type things like plain burgers and
some chicken.  My family had some fries from one of the fry places on the
main strip near the front - all they have at that stand is fries anyway.  We
also had some chicken from a restaurant back in the Old Western town - it's
not too far from the train station and it was a buffet line, sit down place
with wagon wheel type decorations!  (Obviously, I can't remember the name!).
We made sure to arrive at the park at around 9:30-9:45 am since they open at
10 usually.  That way, we could get a close parking space.  For one of our
meals, we just walked out to the car, turned on the air cond. and had an
"indoor picnic".  This also helped save a lot of money since the food prices
are outrageous!  Have a great visit.

SUMMARY #3

There is a Johnny Rocket at the park. When we were there I didn't know about
GF at Johnny Rocket.    The only thing I can remember having is corn on the
cob.   Cat said I had  FF somewhere but don't remember where.  I did contact
the park and they were helpful.

SUMMARY #4

I was just at Cedar Point this May and have been there about 10 times since
going Gluten Free (16 years ago).  I really didnšt have any problems finding
GF food.  TGI Fridays (inside the Breakers Hotel), Famous Davešs and the
other full service restaurants have enough choices for me (mostly steaks and
salads but Famous Davešs has great ribs).  Fresh fruit is available in the
park, along with popcorn, salads, beef hot dogs, nachos, turkey legs, etc.
I did bring a couple of GF bars with me to snack on.  Also, you can also
bring your own bread or bun for a hot dog, burger, etc.  Have fun!