From:
Lucy Street <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucy Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:20:53 -0500

I have a quick question for anyone who brews their own GF beer or knows anyone who does:

I have a few friends who do some home brewing and have made their own beer (and mead and cordials, etc) for many years. I was the first of my friends to get diagnosed with celiac, but several more have been diagnosed since and a few others have figured out they are gluten intolerant, etc. So we've reached basically a critical mass of gluten free people in my group, and my friends who do the brewing are interested in making some batches of gluten free beer.

They want to do it right, however, and not make any of us sick, so they wanted to know the liklihood that they can re-use the brewing equipment (i.e. with some serious elbow grease plus gluten free soap and hot water do the trick, or other more chemical sanitation) or is more like toasters in that you really want separate GF equipment? They also wanted to know if this is something they should brew totally separately from their non GF beer (i.e. separate days and spaces), or can it share space with regular stuff whilst brewing?

I am very thankful to have been blessed with friends who "Get It" and try their hardest both to include me and also not make me sick (and not getting offended if I choose not to partake occasionally), so I want to get them the best information I can!

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, etc. by those far more knowledgeable than I in this area would be greatly appreciated!

If people like, I will send out a summary of responses.

Thank You,

Lucy
Northern Virginia