Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2016 14:39:11 -0500

Below is the summary of responses on the question of which blood tests should be performed for relatives of a person with celiac disease.  Please excuse the long delay in posting this summary.  I found the link for NIH (near bottom of this summary) to be very helpful. After reading that info I created a little summary of all the various tests and the pros and cons of these tests and when they are generally recommended. If anyone wishes to have what I typed up please contact me.

As I read all the responses plus the NIH information, I believe the first entry below is generally considered the best starting point -- and perhaps all that is needed depending on the results.

Here is the summary:

Recommended testingis----TTg-Ig-A plus a total Ig-A level
…………………………….
The genetic test is a check swab. University of Chicago celiac center has a good website.The genetic test was provided and mailed to the lab.
……………………………..
Need to test for markers: DQ2 and DQ8.
You can carry one or both of these markers, but not have active Celiac. Just good to know in case your health changes in the future, then Celiac would be something to look at.
……………………………
It's called a "celiac panel" andusually consists of tTg for both IgA and IgG antibodies; anti-EMA antibodies& possible some other tests (AGA?) for IgG.  My granddaughter was caught with a positive EMAand AGA-IgG at age 9...  While total IgA was normal .
……………………………..

Genetic testing is not necessary, it will only reveal if your son will have the gene(s) necessary to develop celiac disease. It can be done from a cheek swab.

The most accurate blood test is the IgA-tTG and total IgA, but IgA-DGP and IgG-DGP can be helpful additions.

Karoliina, RDN
………………………………
The most comprehensivescreen for gluten sensitivity and includes IgA, IgG of many peptides is CyrexLabs, Array 3.  See the description here:

http://www.joincyrex.com/page/2193/Array-3-WheatGluten-Proteome-Reactivity-and-Autoimmunity-Screen
Karen
………………………………
tTGis an abbreviation for tissue transglutaminase IgA class antibodies and
EMA is an abbreviationfor endomysium antibodies, also IgA class
Both are done becauseneither is 100% sensitive for celiac disease but the combination comes prettyclose... except in about 3% of people with celiac disease who are IgAdeficient. They can still show false negative results to both tests.  Thus, it is important to take a total IgAmeasurement as well.
Ron

NIH recommendations for testing for Celiac Disease
This link is for Healthcare Providers so I would print this off and take it to the doctor.

A good reliable article with a link to a company that does the genetic testing

Gluten Pro
​ is a Canadian Company that we used for Genetic testing for our daughter and our two grandchildren. (We live in Maryland.)  It does not require a doctor to prescribe and so we paid out of pocket for it.  We felt we got the results in a decent amount of time.  It was sent through email when they let us know and I think they also sent a letter in the regular mail.  It was about $175 per test the first time which was about 2 +years ago.  Recently we paid for our grandson who is nearly a year old and I think the price had gone up maybe $10 or so.

Marie

*******
*******