Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 16:34:37 -0400

On May 2nd, I sent out a question about Udi's Bread and if anyone was
finding it to be drier or even stale than in the past when it first came  out.

The response was overwhelming!!   I had about 55 responses so  far, and
some are still trickling in.   For the most part, everyone  agreed that the
bread was not as good as it used to be, finding it drier or even  stale.  They
could no longer just thaw it and eat it, as toasting was the  only solution.
   This is kind of a setback to the days when the  only way you could eat
GF bread was to toast it.

Many suggestions came in, from buying it fresh to buying it  frozen.   Or
perhaps it was frozen, thawed and refrozen.    There were quite a lot
theories and quite a lot of suggestions on what to do  with it.   My own personal
choice was to buy a panini maker and make  my sandwiches that way if the
bread was stale.  They were good, but I don't  always want a grilled sandwich.

Very, very, very few people stated they had good luck with the bread,
finding it fresh every time they buy it.  One lucky person lives near the
bakery.....  it is always fresh for her.   Another also lived  somewhere else in
Colorado and found her purchases to be stale.

I called the company.  I could not push my way through to the  owner.
Apparently he doesn't take these kind of calls.   So I  settled for Emily, the
customer rep, and we talked.   She guaranteed  me that they had not changed
anything in the product, and that it was shipped  frozen.   She did state
that the bread had a shelf life of 7  days.   It has always gone through a
distribution center, but who  knows what happens to this bread when it hits the
store, or even at the  distribution center.   Is it thawing out???   Some
stores  stock it on the shelves unfrozen.    GF products do not stand up  to
sitting out, we all know that.    Perhaps a better education  is needed for
those who distribute it.

Now....here is one for ya....  she said the plastic piece that closes  the
wrapper has a date on it.  Not a date we can all easily  read.    The
numbers were 11024.   That meant the bread  was made in 2011, on the 24th day of
the year.   That is  JANUARY!!  I purchased this bread on May  1st!       I
suggested a date everyone can easily  read including the store manager.  We
shouldn't be buying old  bread.

Emily asked me to forward the emails to her, which I did.  I hit her  with
a huge barrage of them, and I hope everyone doesn't mind.  They need  to see
that this is from all over the U.S. and something needs done.  If  they
contact me further, I will put that out on the listserv also.

I hope this has been helpful to everyone.

Bev
Mansfield, OH