From:
"T. Porawa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:26:31 -0500

This is my first post on the group. I have not been diagnosed with
CD, but have decided to be GF for other health reasons- brittle
hair and nails (and ridges on nails) constipation alternating
with the opposite, anxiety, loss of libido, and constant food
cravings (I'm average weight despite high fat snacking). Six
years ago, at age 22, I had a bout of the runs which lasted
a month. A gastroenterologist took x-rays and did a colonoscopy
but found nothing. Because everything looked fine he didn't take
a biopsy. I've not had any other testing since, but feel my
symptoms might be indicative of gluten intolerance so I decided
to go GF and see if it makes a difference. I recently had a
tooth get chipped off for no reason, and wondered if that
could be related to the cluster of symptoms I described above?
Also, since I was 8, my teeth have been yellow/stained despite
dilligent brushing.  I could never understand why my little
sister who never or very rarely brushed her teeth never had
cavities or yellowing, while despite my efforts I had at least
6 cavities by the age of 13 and was told by dentist who didn't
like the plaque build-up that I should follow my sister's lead
and take better care of my teeth!  (btw, I'm neither a smoker
nor a tea/coffee/cola drinker) Now I'm concerned about brittle
teeth.  What can be done about this?  Will the GF diet help
with my various symptoms?  Thank you for your feedback; I
will summarize replies.