From:
Kieran or Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:05:45 -0500

Sorry, I didn't see this had been rejected as too long, it came into another
folder.  I wondered why there'd been no comments.  Here goes:

Now I should ask on the iron overload group, though I think there are
far fewer people in it.   I did talk to a local AA leader about iron
overload and he said a lot of alcoholics had "food addictions".  Gluten
is probably a major suspect.  I've added some comments in caps. Here is
my original post:

On the guaifenesin FMS support group, someone brought up the subject of
FMS symptoms appearing shortly after she and others had quit drinking.
A half dozen women responded with stories of their own.  I have this
theory that the iron overload that causes a lot of FMS also causes a lot
of alcoholism.  So here is my question, does gluten intolerance, the
other FMS gene, also cause alcoholism?  I will be happy to summarize
(and keep anonymous) any comment ya'll make on the subject.  This is one
near and dear to my heart, as I am trying to figure out whether my ex
(and father of my kids) had celiac running in his family (with gluten
having the effect of making them feel mean) or whether it was iron
overload making them mean and drinkers.  I am figuring that the
hypoglycemia from eating gluten would make celiacs seek out fast
calories.  Donna H RESPONSES:

As an ex problem Irish drinker, Donna, celiac makes it harder for me to
drink, so I seldom now have more than a glass of wine or two. For one
thing, the acid reflux that often comes with celiac is made much worse by
alcohol.

The irish have the highest rates in the world of cd, cystic fibrosis, and
Iron overload.  So in your case, without being tested, we might still
Suspect iron overload could be involved.  Theoretically, celiac should
Protect from the iron overload gene.  This post was from a male, and men are
More susceptible to io because they do not menstruate.

Please post the responses you get.  I'm very interested.

My mother's father died of Iron Overload disease, but there wasn't any
alcoholism.  My mother and I have Celiac Disease.  My father is an
alcoholic, and there is also CD in his family.  Thing is, I don't think
you're going to be able to uncover a gene that is responsible for what
is considered a BEHAVIOR (alcoholism, although is a disease, is a
behavioral disease).  Im sure there are genetic propensities toward
addiction, but I don't think they've uncovered a gene for it.  If your
ex and his family are mean, I would suggest that you are lucky their no
longer your in-laws, focusing not on how your children came accross
these problems, but instead on preparing them for life with the
diseases.  Until we know more about genetics the best we can do is focus
on preventing the behaviors attributed to drinking problems.   Don't
allow your children to EVER feel responsible for any unhappiness their
father or you may have.  Teach them to vent frustrations, to discuss
emotions freely, and to accept all emotions as valid and important.
These are the reasons people become alcoholics - there are no other ways
to deal with painful emotions.  If you give your children the skills to
deal with things healthfully you shouldn't have to worry (as much) about
whether they have a gene for alcoholism.  This is especially important
if their father is mean.  My father is a mean bastard half the time, and
the other half he is jovial and loving and the life of the party.
Fortunately I was given the skills to say "I'm really mad that my father
is chooses to be unreasonable!  I am upset that I didn't have a good
father on whom to rely!"  And then forgive him for this, as he is a
human with a disease.  These are the things which keep me from being
mean, or an alcoholic.  By the way, if you don't have hemochromotosis
(Iron Overload), or your ex doesn't, then your children CANT.  That's
nice to know, huh?  So it would show up in your ex by now, and for you
if you're still menstruating, you can have a genetic test done to
determine if you  have the disease.  If neither of you has it, then your
children can't have it.  I wish Celiac were like that!  It's much more
elusive. (I think there is some io on my mom's side, and for all i know
i could be Carrying it.  One of my kids says his hair was going gray
about age 21, but It's not anymore.  That sure sounds like iron.  He
donated blood frequently, But i don't know what else might have stopped
it.  I think all 3 of my boys Are prone to alcohol trouble, but now they
are past their teens are doing Okay with it.  No alcoholism on my side
except for a grandfather, but their FATHER AND GRANDMOTHER AND AUNT ALL
ALCOHOLICS.

Good luck,  don't forget to remind your kids that whatever their father or
you feels is NOT their responsibility, because if there truly is alcoholism
in your family, you need to be sure to give them the skills to deal with
their emotions.  Good luck!!!

I have had the same thoughts.   My grandfather was an alcoholic, a very
bright, young dentist, who died in his 40's.  (COULD HAVE BEEN FROM IRON
OVERLOAD?)  My father, his son, was extremely mean, with an explosive
temper. (IO CAN DO THAT, BUT SOME HAVE MENTIONED GLUTEN CAN TOO.
Hypoglycemia does strange things to the brain.  My first husband seemed
Hypoglycemic, but then he didn't eat much, ever.  Could have been zinc
DEFICIENCY MAKING FOOD TASTE LIKE SAWDUST TO HIM) His mother was very
short,4'11", and died in a mental institution.  (SHORT STATURE A RISK FACTOR
FOR CELIAC, AND CELIAC CAN CAUSE SCHIZOPHRENIA)  I have CD and my sons, who
tested negative, all have symptoms of CD.  (THOSE DANG UNRELIABLE TESTS!)
It's a very interesting disease, and I'm afraid we don't know the half of
it,as far as all the damage that the grains cause.   VERY APTLY PUT.  AND
Think of all the other genes altering the effects of celiac on the brain or
Body.  Like, why do some celiacs develop autoimmune diseases?  Why does
GLUTEN SEDATE ONE KID, MAKE ANOTHER HYPERACTIVE?

That's a strange thought.  Both my parents abused alcohol at different
stages in their life.  My sister has hemochromotosis (iron overload).  I
am self-diagnosed celiac.  But no one in our family has ever been mean.

I would be interested in the responses.  I have a neice (17) who is not
diagnosed, but I have always wondered if she is celiac and her father is an
alcoholic and she is starting to stuggle with that journey too!