From:
"K. Guy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 14:15:55 -0500

Dear Listmates,

While I have reserved commenting to the list directly in the past, I
feel that recent posts concerning self-diagnosis needs to be addressed.

I was diagnosed by a gastroenterologist with celiac sprue over 10 years
ago.  Prior to that time I suffered physical and emotional problems,
many of them severe for several months before being diagnosed.  I write
the following comments are meant as "food for thought" as we all have
free will to do as we wish with our bodies.

I realize that the procedures and the tests involved may be unpleasant,
tedious and sometimes unconvincing.  I believe, however, that they are
necessary to determine a proper  diagnosis and subsequent treatment.  As
easy as celiac sprue is to treat, it is that much harder to diagnose.

>From the posts to the list, it can manifest itself in various ways,

causing a myriad of symptoms.  We all want to feel better, but sometimes
simply putting a bandaid on a wound, popping some pills, or eating
differently does not help.  It may alleviate the symptoms, but the
ailment still exists.

I fully understand that each of us has to make our own decisions, but
how can we educate others and ask them to help us if we are unwilling to
take the necessary steps and chances to help ourselves.  I encourage
those who are still wondering if they have sprue, DH, or a
gluten-related allergy, to find a reliable doctor and get tested so they
know that a gluten-free diet is really the proper course of treatment
for their condition.

Kim Guy, Michigan