From:
Charles Oldenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:30:42 EDT

What you say is true.  I am concerned though that unless people (all people)
continue to press for labeling, the situation with adulteration of food will
just get worse and worse.  Individuals have so many different dietary
restrictions.  Sometimes it's no dairy, no corn, no gluten etc. etc.  I think
we do have a right to know what is put in what is sold as "food."
Manufacturers should become more sensitive to individual needs and not use
potentially damaging products (like wheat) to facilitate processing etc.
without mentioning it on labels. I know, I wish us all "lotsaluck" on this,
but the greed factor in manufacturing and sales is getting totally out of
hand.  For those of us who can afford the time and money to prepare natural
foods from bulk products it's not so bad.  But for those who can't - and for
those who have children running around, buying junk and eating school lunches
etc. accurate labeling is vital.  Please write your representative in
congress!  Thanks, Christina Oldenburg