Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:58:07 -0500

Thanks to all who responded.  I was overwhelmed at the number of
research to verify the allergen status of the foods mentioned in here.
Thanks again.

Sara

20.	How about a Mexican theme? Tortilla chips and salsa, taquitos
-corn tortillas wrapped around shredded chicken or beef guacamole, mini
tostadas - round tortilla chip topped with beans, salsa, guacamole,
shredded lettuce, etc. Mexican hummus - pinto beans, olive oil, garlic,
and cilantro whirled in a blender, served with fresh vegies.

21.	We are GF/CF and I have a great recipe for a ranch type dessing.
No one can tell the difference and they loved it. It has become a staple
to get my kids to eat there daily veggies:

Ranch Type Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
5 tablespoons almond, soy or rice milk( I use almond. Increase to 7 Tbs
for
salad dressing)
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Mix lemon juice and milk and let sit for 10 minutes( I happen to skip

this and just mix everything together)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
3. Cover and refridgerate for 30 minutes before serving.

I usually double this recipe because it goes so fast!

Some cheese type dip products can be found here:
http://roadsendorganics.com/

It's not exactly like cheese but close. I think the spice dip is too
spicy-and I like spicy things!

22.	Try substituting plain soy yogurt for sour cream in your creamy
dips. Also, try rice crackers with different types of relishes,
compotes, hummus, bean dip, etc. deviled eggs with GF mayonnaise salsa
and corn chips.

23.	Are you soy free as well?  Tofutti makes a dairy free sour cream
you can use to make dips.  The Dippy Chick has a large selection of dip
mixes.  We also use the Orgran Tomato Soup as a dip mix.  Tofutti also
makes a dairy free cream cheese that you could use to fill celery
stalks.

24.	it's easy....use olive oil for cooking....diary free use goat's
milk it is naturally lactose free....peanuts? use walnuts.  just sub in
any recipe

25.	There are several relatively inexpensive standbys for me:
sausage-spinach balls, salmon spread, pecan-chex mix, mini chocolate
muffins (from a mix)/brownies, and more. I also have some holiday
recipes from past local newsletters if you are interested. Please let me
know. And good luck!

26.	You can use tofutti brand sour cream and cream cheese
substitutes for the dairy free.  I am not sure about the peanut allergy,
you'll have to read the label.  These products are made from.  If they
don't meet your needs, you can always use silken tofu and lemon juice.
Add your favorite spices and there you have dip and/or cracker spread.

27.	Why rule out veggies and dip?  What about hummus or white bean
dip that are both dairy and peanut free?  Shrimp cocktail with homemade
cocktail sauce, cherry tomatoes on toothpicks macerated in vodka and
dipped in coarse salt, olives,  gf crackers, melon or pear wrapped in
prosciutto, bacon wrapped scallops, there's really quite a variety.

28.	shrimp cocktail, Wisconsin Beef stick, Guacamole and Tortilla
chips, Chicken salad as dip for crackers, Mushroom caps filled with
sausage stuffing, Bacon wrapped water chestnuts in sweet and sour sauce.

29.	For anything or any recipe that calls for butter, you can use
the Smart Balance Light in a measurement of one to one with wonderful
results. Almost the same with the Almond or Rice Milk. I use it one for
one too. If a recipe calls for buttermilk, I simply add 1 teaspoon of
apple cider vinegar to the almond milk and let it sit for 5 or so
minutes before adding it to a recipe. I also have alternatives for
condensed milk, etc. The only thing I have a hard time sub'ing for, have
yet to find good choices for, is cheese. Anyway.... some of my favorite
thanksgiving recipes.

Turkey: I usually don't stuff my turkey with stuffing. I put 1 to 2
quartered oranges and a half lemon in the cavities and cook my turkey
slowly. Too much citris will make the turkey meat taste citrusy. But
just a few pieces, depending on the size of the bird, the oven heat will
cause the citrus to steam, and with the acid, make the turkey tender.
Again, not too many pieces. Or you can just cook it without anything in
the cavaties. Stuffing: I have created my own recipe that we love and
others do too. I start with a whole grain GF bread. I like to bake
Namaste's Bread mix right before I start the stuffing and then use it.
But I've had success with other ready-made GF breads.
Kar's Holiday Dressing:  4 cups bread cubes, toasted (I cube the bread
and put the pieces right into the pan I'm going to bake with and put in
the oven under broil while I prepare the others. Will have to watch it
close, and toss the bread every few minutes, until the pieces are dry
and crunchy) 1 cup chopped celery 2 carrots, shredded 1 cup onions 1
stalk leeks 1/4 cup Smart Balance Light 1/4 cup olive oil 1-2 teaspoons
poultry seasoning - to taste 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt - to taste 1/2
cup or so of chicken broth While bread is toasting, melt Smart Balance
Light in pan and add olive oil. Saute celery, carrots, onions, leeks
until soft. Add the poultry seasoning and salt. Mix well and combine
with toasted bread cubes. Mix well. Add enough chicken broth to
thoroughly moisten the mixture but do not soak. Bake at 375 uncovered
for 40 minutes or so, stirring a few times. The stuffing will try to dry
out while baking so add a little bit more chicken stock each time you
stir. Recipe serves 4. Double to triple if need be.
Mashed Potatoes: These come out great when using unsweetened almond milk
and SB Light. Make as you normally would.
Sweet Potatoes: This is an easy one to make GF and DF. Use the SB Light,
almond milk and sweetener and mash and top with marshmallows if you like
Or just bake in chunks. We really like to add maple syrup and a little
dark brown sugar for carmelization to our mashed sweet potatoes. Your
Sweet Potato casserole additions depends on your individual taste. It's
fun to experiment here.
Vegetable: A good green salad with lots of veggies is a good
accompaniment to the dinner. Or I would say 2 choices of some type of
vegetables.
Cranberry Sauce: You can either use Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce, or you
can make your own.
Pumpkin Pie: This recipe is really good. The pie will be softer than
traditional pie, but will not be runny. For the crust I use Rebecca
Reilly's Flaky Pastry recipe. So good and easy, easy to make.  For the
pie:
1 cup almond milk or rice milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups unsweetened canned pumpkin
heaping 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 teaspoons arrowroot or 1 tsp gelatin
(I usually double the spices for an extra spicy yummy pie. If you
haven't had a spicy pie before, you might want to stick with the above
until you can try it a time on your own.) Preheat oven to 425. Mix all
ingredients and pour into pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes, and then
reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 to 50 minutes longer. Remove from
oven to cool on wire rack.  I have also made this into a pudding with no
pie crust. It's wonderful.
Whipped Cream: If you can't find one that's truly dairy free, and I
haven't found one yet, here is a good recipe. 1 cup raw cashews or
cashew pieces 1 cup water 1 to 1-1/2 cups sunflower oil, approximately 4
Tablespoons maple syrup 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional) Pinch of
salt. Blend cashews and water in blender or processor to form a thick
cream. Slowly add the oil in a fine stream until cream thickens. Blend
in maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Chill and serve. (Cream with thicken
substantially when chilled.)

30.	If you can tolerate soy, you can find dairy-free cream cheese
and sour cream made by Tofutti.  It is in most health food stores, as
well as Whole Foods, Trader Joes etc.  You can't tell the difference
from the real dairy kind when onion soup dip or other flavors are added
to it.

31.	We do the standard turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet potato
casserole (with soy milk, if milk is needed), some sort of green
vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, green salad and so
forth.  None of it has gluten or dairy.  Actually Thanksgiving is the
easiest gluten-free holiday meal, and it is very amenable to gluten-free
dishes and cooking just look up your favorite recipes and substitute gf
things for any gluten or dairy you can make a great stuffing with just
gf bread toasted and crumbled, celery, onions, mushrooms,in melted
margarine and then mixed with the bread crumbs/pieces of bread and
stuffed into the turkey or baked separately

32.	I also got a response that included a recipe for Pumpkin Pie,
Cranberry Salsa and a chutney.  I am unable to cut and paste it as it is
a web page and that skill is beyond me.  Interested?  E-mail me and I'll
forward it.