From:
Debbie Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:57:36 -0400

Dear Fellow Listmates,
In the past few weeks I have heard about several incidents regarding the mislabeling of GF products in mainstream supermarkets. We all know that items can be misplaced on the shelf, and we must always be hyper vigilant when shopping. But when I had my own experience, I started to feel differently. As more and more GF items show up on mainstream shelves, a level of trust is developing between us and our neighborhood markets. That trust is very important to them, they want our business and they need to take the mislabeling issue very seriously. Please read on, and if you have had a similar experience, let me know and I will share all of them with their corporate offices.

The price label on the shelf beneath item featured a Gluten-Free sticker – the generic wheat shaft with a line through it clearly indicating the item as Gluten-Free. The item was, in fact, a fully glutanized cookie! (Manufactured by a company who also makes GF cookies) I took a photo of it with my cell phone and I also informed the manager on duty. He confirmed the error and the fact that the description and price code on the shelf matched code on the box. He immediately removed the sticker and apologized for the error. He also told me that the GF labels come from corporate. Of course we know that there is no evil intent here. But whether this serious oversight is based on a lack of understanding about the importance of our issues, or simply a lack of attention to detail, the result is the same.
Please share your experiences. I will summarize.
Thanks,
Deb Wheaton