From:
Evelyn Oberfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Evelyn Oberfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:09:37 -0400

Below is the corrected way of sending a summary (?).  My apologies for not sending correctly.     EO

I haven't thoroughly researched it, but do eat there occassionally.

I have found bunless burgers, french fries and chocolate shakes to
provide me with no ill effects. However, I believe that they do cook
onion rings in the same oil as the french fries - so it might be
something that could affect others but that I don't seem to respond to.

I generally avoid all condiments while eating out, sticking to raw or
steamed vegetables and plain meat. I wouldn't eat their chili without
knowing what's in it first, and the same goes for their cheese sauce
(for the cheese fries). I'm a long time sucker for their french fries,
so am happy that I can eat them without any negative effects.

Others, however, might react because of the shared oil.

Please provide a summary to the list once compiled.

Thanks!
Anita
Chicago Exurbs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The day that I make bread is when we go to steak and shake.  I usually get a double steakburger fully dressed with no bun.  I take my bread.  Chocolate shake and pork and beans and I am stuffed to the gills.  I have also eaten their chili with no problems
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I understand it, the only "GF" list Steak and Shake has is the
list you saw. Because wheat is almost always our problem, this list
is probably actually GF, but it's up to you whether to take that
chance.

richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have one in our town and here is what I found out.

I went there to get a strawberry milk shake. It is gluten free, if you don't have the dob of whipped cream on top.
I watch them cook the hamburgers.  While they are cooking the hamburgers, they warm the bun on the grill next to the meat.  This is cross contamination!  NO, NO.  We cannot have the hamburgers.
The salad would be OK!

Mitzi from Michigan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was told once by Steak n Shake
NOTHING is GF
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, I know you can eat their burgers and chili.  Their milkshakes are suppoed to be good - however do not order a malt.  I don't know what yours will be like, but ours in Florida are not that great and I think they're pretty expensive.  You can't eat their french fries because everything is fried together.  However when I was in GA, I did find a restaurant that used a dedicated fryer for their fries.  Maybe you'll be lucky!!!  Good luck, Deb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the only thing i know of is their milkshakes...just not the malts.  you could probably get a cheeseburger with no bun too.  iknow there's a list somewhere where i've seen that the shakes were ok.

kate
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have checked this out so, I can tell you that they will list barley, Rye
etc when applicable. I e-mailed them for more details and they said avoid
their "malt" shakes and ask for the deluxe Strawberry shake without the
cookie. We ate at ours here and I found out that the corn chips come
straight out of the package, no on-site frying. The food was okay for the
steak and potato types, my 13 YO son loved it (esp. the chili), but, I don't
get too excited about beef and iceberg lettuce....  : )
I eat there once in awhile.  I always get a steakburger without the bun.  They let me read the label for the cheddar cheese sauce that you can get on a sandwich or fires.  the ingredients all looked gf to me.
  Good luck!