From:
Meyda Yegenoglu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 19:54:02 -0800

Dear members,

Recently I posted an e-mail regarding the EMA (Endomysial
Anti-bodies--which then I miscalled it as Endomysial Anticor and thanks
to one member who corrected me) and whether it has been used in the U.S.
or not. I received  responses and they were very useful. Thank you very
much for those who took the time to respond. Here are responses I
received:

Meyda
Turkey (until May in NY)

Just wanted to let you know, my results were the
opposite of yours.  I had all the different blood work
done (twice actually) including the EMA and it came
back negative.  I then had the biopsy done which came
back positive for celiac.

I believe I have seen that test mentioned in the
literature and if it is the one I am remembering
it was noted as being reliable.

A great deal of the literature about celiac
disease comes from Europe so it would not surprise
me in the least if diagnosis was more advanced.

I think the test you are talking about is called the Endomysial
Anti-bodies here.  It is used, but many doctors still don't trust it
completely.

Now we have the Tissue Transglutaminase Test that is being researched on
45,000 people to determine the prevalence of CD.  If you would like more
details, please click www.celiaccenter.org I don't know if there is any
similar testing going on in your country.  I have posted several times
about this test, but maybe the name keeps people from checking.  It is a
simple blood test -just like the others, except that it is free - as
opposed to $400.

Yes, we were diagnosed with the Endomysial Antibody test.  This was done
here in Seattle, WA, and also when we sent our blood to be tested at the
Maryland Celiac Research Center.  That is the ONLY test to definitely
diagnose Celiac.  My son and I have celiac as does my husband's cousin,
so it is on both sides of the family.  The IGG and IGA tests were high
for my husband but his Endomysial Antibody was normal.  So was his
biopsy.  He has chosen to be gluten free so he doesn't need to worry
about intestinal cancer caused by undiagnosed celiac which his mother
died from two years ago.

I found this web site which desribes this test.  It is
http://www.inovadx.com/catalog/docs/tech/nlant.htm.  I am so excited and
think we should share this with the group!  Thank you, thank you.