From:
Alec Maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:14:53 -0500

Hi all!

I'm trying to pin down a phenomenon that has occurred with several of us
relating to a pain in the lower left side - just above the belt. Several
posts have mentioned having the pain but no one to my knowledge has
explained what it was or whether it went away.

I am a self-diagnosed celiac who has been GF for five months now. I have
solved my problems one by one but one troubling one remains. I have gone
gluten free, eliminated blastocystis hominis(a protozoon growth in the gut
due to damage there) and am controlling bacterial overgrowth(bacterial
growth due to partially digested food) by taking a very safe antibiotic
called tetracycline.

My last symptoms is a slight pain in the left side - almost like scar
tissue. I feel it especially when I drink coffee or have alcohol. It seems
to be in the intestine but I couldn't swear to it. In my mind's eye, I see
cancer, pollyps, partially healed tears, crohns disease or a "normal" part
of the healing process- you name it.

All the bloodwork and it has been pretty extensive is normal.

If anyone has experienced such a feeling/pain in the left side and they
subsequently found out what it was, I would appreciate knowing what you
learned.
Or, ditto for any thoughts however wild. I've gone as far as I can go on
managed care without something more focused than my current thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help. Alec

Alec Maines
Washington, DC