From:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:28:27 -0400

I started compiling lists from major fast food chains several weeks ago to
keep in our family cars, so they'll be available when traveling or in a
pinch for time. Here's what I have so far:

Wendy's - www.wendys.com
They'll provide a GF list via fax or mail. It offers a variety of options,
but I cannot publish it here without permission from their legal department.
Call (614) 764-3100 to receive the information. You can't email them.

Taco Bell - www.tacobell.com
Their Web site states, "If you have any questions about Taco BellŪ and
nutrition or are particularly sensitive to specific ingredients or foods,
please contact us at 1-800-TACO BELL." I called. The customer service
representative said the only GF items were the seasoned rice, pintos and
cheese and the following side items: red/chili sauces, cheese sauce,
guacamole, grated cheese, and the fresh produce. I asked to speak to their
dietician to see exactly what in their beef and chicken contained gluten.
The representative said Wendy's does not employ a dietician, but that a
nutritionist would call me back. No one called me back, but I received an
ingredient statement for Taco Bell's beef and chicken. The beef contains
oats; the chicken lists 'yeast extract' twice; 'natural flavor' twice, once
listing components, once not.  Taco Bell does not publish a GF list. You
have to call them.

McDonald's - www.mcdonalds.com
McDonald's offers a printable PDF, updated 6/02, listing all their products
and what major food allergens and food sensitivities they contain. They
suggest you call 800-244-6227 if you have special dietary concerns.

Dairy Queen - www.dairyqueen.com
This page lists their known-to-date GF items:
http://www.dairyqueen.com/menus/men_allergy_det.asp?Path=templatedata%5Cbran
d%5Fmenu%5Callergy%5Finfo%5Cdata%5CDQGlutenFree A letter I received from
Carolyn Kidder, Consumer Relations Manager of DQ states, "Unfortunately, we
have not yet put together a formal gluten-free list." I was inquiring about
their strawberry and hot fudge toppings. Ms. Kidder states their Vanilla and
Chocolate Soft-Serve have been investigated and they do not contain gluten.
However, she further says that "Yes, it is true certain Dairy Queen
restaurants use a soft serve mix that varies from the mix used by
restaurants in the rest of the country and on which this information is
based. Please check all of this information with your local Dairy Queen
restaurant. If the Dairy Queen restaurant purchases their soft serve
products from ADQ [American Dairy Queen Corp.], then they are using the mix
that is gluten free."

Cheers,

Joan Feddish
Phoenixville, PA