From:
Wendy Percival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:20:59 EST

Dear List,

In the 3+ years we have been GF, I have baked many a birthday cake, with less
than delicious results.  The last one I made (for Kimberly's 7th birthday, in
case anyone wants to know) was the best.  This recipe is adapted from a recipe
originally published in the March/April 1999 issue of Cook's Illustrated.

4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature (I used low fat, and it was fine)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted GF flour (I used Bette Hagman's mix)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, each stick cut into 8 pieces

1.  Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease 2 9" round cake pans, and line with parchment.  Also grease the
parchment, and dust pans with flour.

2.  Beat eggs, milk, and vanilla with fork in small bowl.  Measure out 1 cup
of this mixture and set aside.  Combine dry ingredients in bowl of mixer.  Mix
on lowest speed to blend, about 30 seconds.  With mixer still running, add
butter one piece at a time; mix until butter and flour begin to clump together
and look sandy and pebbly, with pieces about the size of peas.  This takes
about 30 or 40 seconds after all the butter is added.  Add reserved 1 cup of
egg mixture and mix at lowest speed, until incorporated, 5 to 10 seconds.
Increase speed to medium-high (settiing 6 on KitchenAid) and beat until light
and fluffy, about 1 minute.  Add remaining egg mixture in slow steady stream.
Stop mixer and thoroughly scrape sides and bottom of bowl.  Beat on medium-
high until thoroughly combined and batter looks slightly curdled. about 15
seconds longer.

3.  Divide batter equally between pans and bake 20 to 25 minutes, cakes should
be golden.  Cool on rack 10 minutes, invert and remove from pan and cool
completely before icing.  I used whipped cream icing.  YUM!

This was by far the best yellow cake I have ever made, GF or not.  The
directions look long, but are really simple.  My friends and family who have
tried all my birthday cakes loved it.

Thanks to Cook's Illustrated for allowing my to reprint this recipe, and of
course I have no financial ties to the magazine, other than being a
subscriber.  For a free copy of Cook's Illustrated, please call
1-800-546-8442.

Enjoy.
Wendy
Chatham, NJ