From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 07:05:36 EST

Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]> said

>Let me recount my story and it may help you and your brother with a
>decision.  I was sick as a toddler (early 60's) and the doctors could
>not figure out what was wrong with me......(rest deleted)

Karen, thanks for the very interesting post. I am curious whether a
celiac antibody panel was done on either you or your child prior to the
biopsy (endomysial, reticulin, gliadin IgA IgG). I find the biopsy such
an intrusive event, at least for a child .... we had TWO antibody blood
tests done just to be sure of the need, before agreeing to the biopsy

>Just a curiosity as to whether any studies have been done in regards to
>children diagnosed with Celiac disease and they growth patterns before
>and after......(rest deleted)

Perhaps one of our MDs can reply to this.  One of the principal reasons
that my son went undiagnosed for probably six years was that he has
always been tall for his age, so the doctors "assumed" he couldnt have
Celiac in spite of his gastrointestinal problems.

Bill Elkus