From:
Marlene Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:52:11 -0500

wondering how the rest of you are reacting to any family members who are
trying some version of a high-protein diet.

I'm concerned about the long-term problems associated with this diet, but I
finally realized that what may have been bothering me most about my
husband's diet is that some sane person was actually CHOOSING to give up
bread!  I'm teasing him about being a celiac by choice.  I do have to admit
that our reduction in rice and potatoes has resulted in a slight weight
loss for me too although I refuse to give up sugar or a couple baked
potatoes per week!  Since I had been diagnosed CD a year ago, my weight
gain had crept to 15 pounds, and I was beginning to wonder what would stop
the increase. I realized that I was eating rice or potatoes at least a
couple times a day becuase I felt that my options were so limited.  Now I'm
learning some new options!  As other people have pointed out on this
listserv, some of the books related to this diet have great ideas for
celiacs too.

Of course, as Chris noted, maybe this diet trend will give us better
options in restaurants too.  On the downside, I did read that meat prices
may be going up in response to this trend.

                                                Marlene