From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:23:40 -0500

I hate to bring McD's up again, and I know a steady diet of McD's is not wise (fat, salt, etc.)...so don't beat me up. I go there RARELY, but on occasion, especially if I have a child with me or we're on the road, it's the most convenient quick lunch, and they're all over the place.

That being said, I've always been able to get just plain meat in a box, and (usually asking the manager to handle the order), it hasn't been a problem. But yesterday, in the small McD's in Chestertown, Maryland...where I never had a problem before, I was watching the "cooks" assembling all sorts of sandwiches without using dedicated tongs, wearing gloves and going from the buns, to the salad, to the fried chicken, to the burgers....same hands. The cashier offered to have her change gloves (the manager...who I never saw before....seemed totally discombobulated by the whole concept), but even changing gloves here won't work, because by handling everything for hours on end, contamination is guaranteed. This particular manager also came across as an idiot.

For awhile, a couple of years ago, I asked for meat straight off the grill, but several knowledgeable managers said that's dangerous, that the burgers are NOT fully cooked when they come straight off the grill.

In the scheme of things, giving up McD's isn't the end of the world, but it's a convenience on occasion, and I feel for the kids...who have to endure being different than their friends. I wonder if other McD's are doing this now.

Lin