From:
Martha Olsen Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:01:25 EST

I have CD along with many other food allergies.  My children devour Peter
Pan Peanut Butter by the bucket loads...  I buy the 5lb. cans.  I was
always a peanut butter lover growing up, but find I cannot eat it now
without getting a  very painful and severe headache about 6 hours later.
One of the things I missed most was peanut butter on my toast in the
morning.  I found I had the same reaction to many cooking oils except for
Sunflower and/or Safflower oil.  That was when I discovered Tahini.  I
must warn you that my kids think it is disgusting...  they will eat bags
upon bags of sunflower seeds and leave me the horrible little shells....
but will not touch Tahini.  I absolutely love the taste.  Tahini tends to
be a thinner blend than peanut butter and will drip off my toast...  but
is delicious with jelly, jam, celery, carrots, apples, bananas....  all
the things you use peanut butter for.  I have not used it for cooking
(the less time I spend in the kitchen the happier I am!).
I have found Tahini in most health food stores, and here in New Mexico, I
found it in Jewel Osco.  I have not found one brand to be better than
another as I only buy the ones that have nothing added.  Ingredients:
Ground Sesame Seeds ...  can't go wrong there.  Tahini needs to be
stirred well before you use it...  the oil floats to the top....  so I
try to find a brand that has a wide mouth container to make the mixing
easier.
enjoy....    martha