Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:22:34 -0500

> The ubiquitously quoted "list" of brands that I was referring to in
> my original post is one (that takes on a few forms) that keeps
> popping up on general celiac forums, personal web pages, blogs and
> general community celiac web pages.  From all I can tell, from just
> researching this list via Google, it started up c. early 2004 --
> before the new labeling laws even existed.  It is pretty much
> impossible at this time to figure where the list began, but it would
> seem that things really have changed since then.

Hi all,

I am one of the originators of the brand list being referred to here, I think. I
compiled it by asking folks on this very forum to tell me the companies or
brands they knew about, added them to my own list, and then checked them all
out through phone calls. At the time it came out, the list was indeed accurate.

As noted, some things have changed. For instance, Hershey no longer guarantees
to clearly list all gluten, but I do believe they say that any barley will be
listed as malt. I haven't personally sent this list to anyone for well over a
year now, and I've warned others that it is no longer completely accurate.
This, of course, is true for any GF list. Suzanne did a great service for us by
updating things.

> But if you have celiac disease, and cannot have any gluten of
> any type, you aren't all that much better off than you were before
> the law went into effect.

Personally, I disagree with this. The VAST majority of our problem with
processed food was hidden wheat. I've never ever heard of hidden rye and I'm
pretty certain I've never heard of hidden oats. There is some hidden barley,
although a percentage of that is listed as malt or malt flavoring. Nobody
should EVER eat a product with malt without checking the source.

I've been GF for 5 years and I agree with Suzanne that it's hard to imagine how
hard it is for a newbie, although I do remember how hard it was for me.
Unfortunately, there's still old information around -- even being passed out by
doctors -- telling folks that things like annatto, caramel color, distilled
vinegar -- even canola oil for goodness sakes -- must be avoided. New folks
still hear that you should watch out for "broth" and "flavorings," but the
doctors and dietitians don't explain that if you see that listed in raw meat,
it's OK as long as WRBO isn't listed.

For those who are new, there will come a day when you won't even carry lists.
There might still be things in the store you can't be sure about, but you will
shop with confidence.

Happy holidays to all.

richard