From:
Pam Cresswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 11:21:44 -0400

Dear Pat and Marcia,
     My 5 yo son has many restrictions on his diet, and I found it helpful to
tell his teachers that there were immediate consequences to cheating his
diet, like massive bouts of diareah,vomiting, extreme hyperactivity, and
aggressive behavior. What you tell the teacher doesn't need to be 100%
accurate, exagerate if you must, but if the teacher thinks she/he might have
to deal with one of the above situations, they will be more cautious! BTW,
any of these things are possible, and in the case of diabeties, you could add
even more things.So, give the teacher a detailed list of no-no foods, a bag
of ok treats for your child to have when others are eating cookies and cake,
and scare her/him a little! Oh, and make sure the office knows to tell
substitute teachers as well. A few weeks ago a sub gave my son strawberry
cheesecake, and jello jigglers, which totally blew his no dairy and no sugar
diet. He was aggressive and headachy and hyper for days. I related this story
to his new tacher for the fall. The last thing she wants is an angry hyper
kid when he is normally calm and sweet, so I think she will be good at
whatching out for him.Good luck!
Pam