From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:56:52 EST

Greetings Fellow-listmates,

Thank you for all your great ideas for saltine substitutes.  I will try to
summarize:

1.  Many people recommended tortilla/corn chips or Frito-type chips
2.  Also, chili over rice was suggested, as well as eating chili with
cornbread
3.  A few people suggested putting potato chips in chili (?) - I'm not sure
about that one but they swear it tastes great.
4.  A few people mentioned specific products - Brown Rice Petals by
Soken,Gluten-Free Wasa Crisp bread,Kame or Sesmark rice crackers,Bi-Aglut
"Crackerbread"
from Dietary Specialities in Rochester,NY,Kame rice crackers, Hol-Grain
Crackers, and Wasa corn crackers.

 The very enterprising De-Ro-Ma gluten free company from Canada, contacted me
and gave me their Internet
address:  http://www.cosmo2000.ca/deroma/accueil_en.html.  I understand their
products are excellent and they have several saltine substitutes.

And finally, one person told me to give it up - there is no good substitute
for saltines in chili.

So, many, many thanks to all of you for your ideas and well-wishes.  You all
are a fabulous support group.  You'll be hearing from me again.

Linda in Savannah

P.S.  And by the way, the weather has turned warm again, so all thoughts of
chili are gone for the time being!!!