Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:03:19 EST

I appreciate these responses-seems like I've got to think about this-learn
more about it, before I buy the attachment!  Thanks so much for sharing your
experiences!  Madelyn

I have one.  If you are looking to grind flour for baking you will
probably be disappointed.  I have the 525 watt mixer.  The grinder does
not grind the flour fine enough for baking.  You need a different type
of mill to grind for baking flour.  I get the grains from my local
health food store.  I use it to grind things for toppings and stuff.  I
buy a GF flour mix for baking.  We have a kitchen aid mixer with a 5
quart bowl (this is from about 25 years ago or so) . . . It's a 300 watt
model.  My mom has used this for the past 25 years for cooking gluten
free nearly every other day (for 3 kids and 2 adults), and finds it very
useful.  We have the grain mill attachment for the Kitchen Aid, but
don't use it much, due to the fact that it tends to cause the mixer to
heat up ALOT!

   I recently found a 6 quart 475 watt mixer on sale at Lechters (a
kitchen store in the US)  The Lechters chain is closing out, so I was
able to get it for 50% off.  It was a real bargin.  This is one of the
Epicurian models, and has a very nice cooling system, so might be better
adapted to use the grain mill attachment.

   Instead of using the kitchen aid though, we have a dedicated grain
mill.  It's not that large, and stores easily in the garage.  We've
never had any trouble with it overheating at all.  I'd suggest if you
can afford it to have a dedicated attachment, it's much better.

   Noncontaminated grain:  We go to our local oriental stores (there's a
few in the Chicagoland area where I live).  We can get whole grain rice
in 50 pound sacks. They come in the sack from the company . . . I've
noticed no signs of contamination with other products.  We store the
grain in a dry cool place.