From:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:53:13 -0600

Hi list.

I've been gf for about 4-5 years now &, as we all, have tried many different
recipes for breadmaking. We all have different tolerances for these flours,
for instance; no tapioca flour for me. Has the same reaction as wheat. So,
trying all these different bread recipes that are posted or in gf books are
hit & miss. I'm 51 & am not un-experienced in baking from scratch, so I had
very little problem converting my cake/cookie recipes to gf. But those have
flavorings added: vanilla, lemon, chocolate etc, & therefor taste good. Even
my husband can't tell the difference.

Bread is entirely different. No matter what combination of flours I just
didn't like the flavor very much. And the texture just never was
right....either too dry & crumbly, or just down right rubbery. And I really
missed my morning onion bagle.

I had this old Banana Bread recipe that worked every time. Sliced well, held
together & tasted great with gf flours. It had to be the bananas that gave
it the moist springy texture. So why not swap out onions for the bananas?!
(minus the cinnamon & nuts, of course) Now this experiment went through
several incarnations but this is the most recent one I made Friday. I have
to say, I'm quite pleased with the results. I baked the bread in these
whopping big muffin "Texas Size" muffin tins & they are soft & springy like
bread. They rose high & stayed that way. I really like the flavor, nice &
onion-y.

So here are the various recipes & my changes.

My gf Flour mix:
Sorghum Flour....9 cups
White Rice Flour....3 cups
Sweet Rice Flour....3 cups
Potato Starch....1 1/2 cups
Corn Starch......1 LB Box

Banana Bread Recipe: 350 degrees....30 min to 1 hour
Flour (wheat or gf)....3 1/2
Baking Powder....3 tsp
Salt....1 tsp
Baking Soda....1 tsp
Saco Powdered Buttermilk....1/4 cp
Xanthum Gum (gf only).....2 tsp
Cinamon & nutmeg to taste ( I just shake a few)
Nuts stirred in last by spoon.....1 cup

Lemon Juice....2 TBS
Oil....1/4 cup
Sugar (White or brown or combination)....1 1/2 cup
(NOTE: I'm borderline diabetic so I do 1/2cp brown sugar & 1 cup Splenda)
Eggs....3
Water....3/4
(NOTE: Can use milk if you don't use the buttermilk powder)
Bananas....2 cups - smashed

I mix the dry ingredients together & set aside. I beat together the wet
ingredients & slowly add the dry till mixed, stir in nuts. Pour into greased
pans & bake at 350. Loaf pans 50-60 minutes. Muffin pans depending on size
20 - 30 minutes (keep a close eye on them, size makes a difference)

Onion Muffins (The name sounds yucky, doesn't it?!)

Yeast.....1 packet soaking in 1/2 cup warm water w/pinch of sugar
Onion....1 large, diced & sauted in 1 TBS butter - cooled a bit

Flour....3 1/2 cups
Baking Powder....3 TBS
Saco Buttermilk Powder....1/4 cup
Sugar or Splenda....couple TBS (depends on taste)
Salt....1 tsp
Baking Soda....1 tsp
Xantham....2 tsp
Onion Powder....1 tsp   Garlic Powder....1/2 tsp

Eggs....3 (or 4 egg whites)
Water....1 cup (or more to keep from getting too stiff)
Mayonaise.....1/2 cup (I think this adds a richness plus oil & the vinegar)

Mix together dry ingredients, set aside. With mixer, beat together wet stuff
& add onions & proofed yeast. Add dry ingredients 1/3 at a time till well
mixed. Should be softly thick like brownie mix but not stiff. My 2 big Texas
muffin tins holds this recipe. Makes 12 huge muffins.

I let them rise for 30 minutes in front of a hot oven (not IN the oven).
Then I baked them for 40 minutes, 350, (regular wheat bread recipes bake at
a much hotter oven than this) give or take 5 minutes depending on where they
are in the oven. Upper level hotter than lower one. If you use loaf pans I
would imagine they would bake for at least an hour. Also, my muffin tins are
silicon & don't need greasing. You would have to grease regular baking pans.

I let them cool 15 minutes or so because they were so soft & springy. After
they were removed & cooled to room temp, I sliced each one in half, wrapped
in plastic wrap & stored in fridge. I'm quite pleased with the flavor &
springy texture, but will keep experimenting. I invite your critique &
feedback. I value everyone's experience.

Carol in Missouri

Visit the archives at: Listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?LIST=CELIAC