From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:44:35 -0400

Seeing the post on additives in cured pork reminded me that I've been
wondering for a while about scallops. The scallops without shell which I
see in the store always are labeled "water added", even the ones at the
fresh fish counter. Does anyone know what that means? Do manufacturers make
a scallop-mush, add water and starch, and form little patties that look
like scallops, kind of like the fake chicken breast in fast food
restaurants? That sounds pretty gross, and it makes me worry about what
else is in there. Any information on that?

Thanks,

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY