From:
Michelle Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:27:33 -0500

Thanks to everyone for their advice on GF at college.  I will post in 2 messages:  this first is a general summary of GF at college.  The second will be specific to Vanderbilt, William and Mary & Auburn.

General  GF college summary

*List of best GF friendly colleges:

http://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2012/01/10/14-colleges-that-cater-to-gluten-free-students/

*Gluten Free College Bloggers:  http://www.celiaccentral.org/college/gluten-free-in-college-blog-series/

*Link to resources on celiac central on heading to college:

http://www.celiaccentral.org/college/Heading-to-College/360/

*I do recommend contacting the Office of Disabilities at each college--it can
make a world of difference if you are asking for accommodation.  My son went
to UT-Knoxville and was able to have a small freezer in his room; that would
not have happened without the 504 Plan.  Also, Disabilities also gave him a
letter for each of his professors indicating that he had CD and that if he
had a reaction bad enough and had to miss class, the absence would not be
counted against him.

*I have a college resource page on my blog http://celiacsinthehouse.com/gluten-free-college.

*Gluten free college reviews:

Well, you are in luck...we actually have a review of Auburn within the
Gluten Free College Reviews section (
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/glutenfreecollegereviews.php )of our
website, GlutenFreeTravelSite.

We just recently added the Gluten Free College Reviews section for the very
reason you sent out your email...that is, to help prospective college
students learn more about about the GF dining options at the colleges they
are considering -- straight from other students with Celiac Disease.

Our goal is to continue building this list until we have the majority of
colleges and universities all over the country reviewed on our site, so if
you and your daughter could help us spread the word, we'd very much
appreciate it.

To submit a review of a college, a reviewer simply clicks on Submit Review (
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/submit.php ) from our orange navigation bar
and follows the prompts from there (first choosing the state in which the
college is located). When they arrive at the review form, they have the
option of choosing the type of review (restaurant, hotel, cruise, college,
etc.). Submitting a review is very easy -- and helps SO many prospective
college students just like your daughter!

*Gluten free easy to make foods:

I just wanted to share with you GoFoods Food Storage.  They have a line of gluten free foods that have been very popular for many different occassions and children going of to college is one.  The food comes in a mylar package and each package is a complete meal, though can be added to stretch it out. www.leftyutah.mygofoodsglobal.com

*******
*******