From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:52:05 -0500

While I think the IDEA of restaurant cards is a good one, in practical
terms, it may not work. Here in the NYC, for some unkown reason, Mexican
immigrants have a hold on kitchen id diners and "home style"
reataurants.  I got his information from a head-waitress.  Many do not
speak English and the orders are given to them in Spanish, in one diner
I know, by Greek-Anerican waiters.  Only in America.

We really have no way of being sure that out instructions are heard,
much less understood or followed.  Since I am the one who suffere when
the "wrong" food is consumed, I must assume responsiblity for what I
consume.  To get around the grill problem, I order an amlette which is
made in its own pan and doesn't touch the grill.  I don't order deep
fried food out etc.  I mentally have a list of "safe" foods and methods
of preparation and do not vary from it when I eat out--broiled fish or
chicken etc  "dry", boiled or baked potatoes, plain rice, veggies,
salads wtih oil & lemon juice.  If I want a dessert, I have found I can
have NY style cheesecake (no crust) with no problems.

It works for me.

Ann