From:
"Theresa Cornelius, MS, RD, CLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theresa Cornelius, MS, RD, CLC
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:41:06 -0800

Celiac Disease Center at Columbia

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

New York – Presbyterian Hospital

161 Fort Washington Avenue

New York, NY 10032

The Celiac Disease Center at Columbia is pleased to update major events and information.  If you have any questions, please contact Hal Winfield at 212-342-0251 or email: [log in to unmask]

CELIAC CENTER WEBSITE

A reminder that the Center’s website is active:

www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

QUESTIONS FROM THE CELIAC COMMUNITY

We are extremely pleased to have received a good number of questions from you. We are interested in answering them and if appropriate, we will put them in our newsletter and website. You must realize that our advice is given solely based on the information provided, without detailed knowledge of the medical data and should be interpreted appropriately.

UPCOMING PRESENTATIONS

Dr. Green, Director of the Celiac Disease Center, and Anne Lee, our nutritionist, will be presenting as follows:

Albany, NY

FREE educational programs by world-renowned experts on Celiac Disease

St. Peter’s Hospital - Cusack Auditorium

315 So. Manning Blvd., Albany, NY  12208

For more information call: 518-525-1550

Free Parking Available - Main Parking Garage - So. Manning Blvd.  Take elevator A to 1st floor – Maps available at the information desk.

Following Presentation Open to the Public

CELIAC  DISEASE RESOURCE GROUP MEETING

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

6:45 – 9:00 p.m.

CPE Credit Activity Available

“Amazing Grains”

With An Emphasis On Some Newer Grains

Anne Roland Lee, MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN

Clinical Nutritionist, Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University

Following Presentations for Medical Professionals & Nutritionists only

MEDICAL GRAND ROUNDS

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.

CME - CPE Credit Activity Available

Where Are All The Celiacs, And Does It Matter?”

Peter H. R. Green, M.D.

Director, of the Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University

Clinical Professor of Medicine at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University

Attending at New York Presbyterian Hospital

NUTRITION GRAND ROUNDS

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

9:30 – 11:00 a.m.

CME – CPE Credit Activity Available

“Celiac Disease: Overview And Management of Celiac Disease”

Ann Roland Lee, MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN

Clinical Nutritionist, Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University

RECOMMENDED WEBSITE

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/
This website is created and maintained as a service to people with celiac disease by Steve Plogsted, Pharmacist at Children's
Hospital, Columbus, Ohio. It contains a considerable amount of
information on celiac disease and medications and is highly
recommended.

SCREENING FOR CELIAC DISEASE

We are planning a family screening day at Columbia University, when we would offer serologic screening for celiac disease. We would be interested in learning the number of families/persons that would be interested in participating.  Individuals are also welcome for screening as well as families.  We have not established a date but are considering early 2005. This is a good opportunity to have all nuclear family members and other relatives tested. In addition, our dental consultant, Dr.Ted Malahias, will be examining teeth for signs of celiac disease.

If you are interested, please email [log in to unmask] with the potential number of participants you will bring. We suggest early registration as total numbers may be limited.

COMPANIES THAT HAVE SUPPORTED OUR CENTER

Freeda Vitamins has over 76 years of experience in manufacturing gluten-free nutrients. We have the only all gluten-free vitamin plant in the USA. Our chemists check all raw materials to make sure they are all gluten-free. Because sensitive people often have multiple sensitivities, all Freeda products have no sugar or starch, no salt, no yeast, no artificial colors or flavors. All Freeda products are vegetarian and kosher.

Freeda Vitamins 1-800-777-3737, 20% off on all vitamins.

Fax 212-685-7297

Email [log in to unmask]

Website www.FreedaVitamins.com

Visit our store at: 36 East 41st Street New York, New York 10017. RX’s checked for gluten, on request.

GLUTEN-FREE RESTAURANT

RISOTTERIA- www.risotteria.com. A full service casual west village restaurant that has a menu with many GF & vegetarian specialties including pizza, panini, desserts and beer. Currently developing other products at customers’ requests, including bagels and sweet breads. They will be hosting all GF brunches on Sundays by invite only. Often offer discount lunches to their database of GF customers.

 Joseph pace owner/chef

EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE

FROM THE CELIAC DISEASE CENTER

AT COLUMBIA.

For information and purchases, please go to www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

AUDIOTAPES FOR PATIENT EDUCATION DAY 2004 (SET OF 2 TAPES)

Tapes of the conference sessions held Saturday, November 15, 2004, at Columbia University. Tapes can be purchased for $55 by mail with a check (see form below), or for $50 online with credit card at www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

GLUTEN - FREE & ON THE GO POCKET GUIDE

This new handy guide from the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University contains accurate and helpful information for grocery shopping, dining out, travel, meetings, parties and much more, in a handy pocket guide format. It can be purchased for $16 by mail with a check (see form below), or for $15 online with a credit card at www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

CELIAC DISEASE CENTER AT COLUMBIA’S CHILDREN COOK BOOK

NOTHING BEATS GLUTEN FREE COOKING

(a children’s cookbook) is a publication of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia. Authors:  Anne Roland Lee, Susan Cohen & Laura Leon. This book is available for purchase either online or by mail for $25 (including shipping) at:  www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

GLUTEN-FREE LIFESTYLE PYRAMID

A lively, colored pyramid of food groups especially for people with celiac disease, including a glossary of grains, nutrient sources, hidden sources of gluten and more. Double sided and laminated.  To purchase either online or by mail for $12 please go to:  www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

GLUTEN-FREE LIFESTYLE PYRAMID

TEAR-OFF PAD

Same information as #3, but in a pad of 50 double-sided sheets, non laminated. To purchase either online or by mail for $70 please go to: www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

GLUTEN-FREE DINING CARD