Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:41:30 -0400

Hi all!  This group is amazing!  Got over 30 replies in the first day
alone, and then more for the nuts idea, etc.

Sorry this took so long to post--I had a recipe written out in it, which
is copywrited, so I am taking it out and trying again...

Here's a summary of good substitutes for oats:

1. chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted. (3)

2. ground almonds. (6)  Toasted is even better.

3. GF cornflakes (3)

4. Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes (from Whole Foods) (3)

5. Ground up Rice bran cookies or crackers (from Whole Foods)

6. Poha Flakes (rolled rice) (5)

7. Just use (more) flour (2)

8. EnerG toasted granola and trail mix

9. Nutty Rice GF cereal (2) (like Grape Nuts, but those have gluten)

10. Rolled Amaranth Flakes (from Glutino.com) (2)

11. Buckwheat Flakes (2) (or the porridge flakes I mentioned)

12. GF Pantry "Crisp" topping.

I ended up going with #7--making them without oats, since I couldn't use
nuts (my 2 year old has so many allergies that nuts are on her "no no"
list until she's at least 3), and I didn't have anything else around
except the porridge flakes.  I used a recipe from Twin Valley Mills,
LLC  www.twinvalleymills.com.

I used my bean flour instead of the sorghum flour, and I used a round
pan.  It came out delicious, except I took it out 15 minutes early
because it had already burned a little--so I think an hour is probably
too long, even with the right pan.

Thanks again!  I hope others find this summary useful.  I will use your
ideas next time I have a recipe that calls for oats!

Debbie