From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:46:44 -0400

Listmates.
Here is a summary of the emails I got back about millet being gf.   I put the two that carry credentials with them on top and the more personal reactions at the bottom. The rest are interesting reading. (In parentheses, I sometimes added a question or comment.)
Thanks again. It's great to be able to turn to all of you. The bottom line is millet is chemically gluten-free, could have cross-contamination (which could happen with any of our foods), and that on occasion, someone reacts.
Lin

It was in a clearly marked gluten-free corn cake product, which I ended up throwing out today in a binge to clean up the kitchen of multiple opened things. I guess I can retrieve from the trash just to reHere's a list from CSA website.  It shows millet being ok.  I'd be
interested to know if anyone writes you that there is a risk of
cross-contamination.  I had heard in the past there were similar issues with
millet that there are with oats.
http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php
 (Folks...CSA is generally extremely conservative and cautious. They say millet is o.k. Lin)

The nutritionist I went to said that I should start eating millet. In fact I was about to go on the list and ask for recipes. Also Columbia Presby. says it is OK.

Millet is definitely gf.  I live with the "canaries in the mine" and they
will react to the slightest hint of gluten.  I use millet all the time.   (I love this listmate's sense of humor! Gotta laugh sometime! Lin)

Millet is fine.

Millet is GF. I sure would be interested in any factual source that says it is not.
I think the old concern was about cross-contamination with wheat
etc., grains showing up in the field as volunteers, plus in
processing of grain.

It's not even a consensus situation -- millet is without question GF.

I'd eat it if the label says GF.  The lawyers would stop the label if
they hadn't tested it, I'll wager.

Uncontaminated millet is gluten free. just be careful that the millet you use was processed/milled in a gluten-free facility.

It has been some time since I read this, but what it said was that although technically speaking millet is gf, molecularly it is very similar and there is a likelihood of reacting similarly.

Millet is gf. The older materials were wrong, which why that information
doesn't appear in newer materials. Some people do seem to react to it, but it's still gf.

Millet is in the same class as oats.  No gluten in and of itself, but is contaminated with
other grains.  Don't go there!

Millet is technically gluten-free;  however, it is my understanding that
the possiblity of cross-contamination is high - from the fields, etc.
Also, many people seem to also react to millet - whether from the grain
or the cross-contamination I don't know. My feeling is if you're fine with it, enjoy.

In our group, some of our members, can eat it, and some can't. We called Deland bakery, which has the best of the breads, we think, and they had to say on the NEW packages that wheat may be in the bread. We called them, and they told us that they were doing nothing differently than before the Government made them say
that the bread contains gluten because it MIGHT still be in the air. Delands has not changed the way they make the bread, which looks a lot like whole wheat, and we can confirm this. My wife is the celiac, and she has the Delands bread for toasted cheese sandwiches, rubens, and any other one she has a fancy for. Jo, my wife, is a VERY sensitaive celiac, and she has NOT ever had a problem with Delands. Those in our group who tried it, only one had reaction to it. We now buy for about six of our people, since the minimum oprder is 24 loaves. It is far cheaper than Kinicknicks, both becasue it has sixteen slices to the pound loaf, as in "normal" bread, and costs about $2.80 per loaf, verses Kinicknics of $4.85 a 12 slice loaf. I would suggest that when you are sure you are free of gluten, then I would try millet bread, confirming that it it PURE millet. If you have not reaction, I would assume you would be ok. I eat the stuff myself, and as a toast, as a toasted cheese sandwich, it is not far off regular bread. The texture is the same.

My understanding of it is that millet is GF but many people have a reaction to it. I personally cannot eat it. I tried the buns from deland bakery. They were very good but the millet made me sick shortly after I ate it. I tried it multiple times after that to make sure that was what it was.

My son got violently ill with millet bread.  (And could it have been something else? Lin)

the only really SAFE grains are rice and corn!         (I totally disagree with this statement. Lin)

millet is NOT gf.